tcw3 in gas leaf blower?

Home Forum Ask A Member tcw3 in gas leaf blower?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vintage.1958 2 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 344

I have allot of TCW-3 50:1 gas mixed (2.66 oz per gallon) that I am not going to use this year
    My leaf blower takes 2 cycle 40:1 (3.20 oz per gallon)
    I was planning on adding .54 oz of normal 2 cycle to a gallon of TCW-3 50:1 gas mix and use that mixture in the leaf blower
    That would make it 40:1
    But of course-it would be two different kinds of 2 cycle oil
    What are your thoughts beside going boating more

todd281
    todd281
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 54
    Topics: 20

my understanding is that the “w” in TCW stands for water cooled engine use as these tend to run cooler that the air cooled engines like chainsaws, leafblowers, weedwackers it is not recomended to use. So I would say proceed at you own risk.

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1212
    Topics: 160

air cooled engines do not use TCW3 which is for water cooled engines .. up to you !

/

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4318
    Topics: 43

And I use TCW-3 I my chainsaws, blower, and weed wacker.at 50:1 So shoot me.

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2312
    Topics: 130

Ditto to what Frank is doing and add a string trimmer.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 6 hours ago by Tubs Tubs.
    chuckw
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 62
    Topics: 4

Put some marine Stabil in the gas and use it next summer. Been doing that for years with no issues.

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1212
    Topics: 160

ho well…oil is oil I guess.

billw

Replies: 1021
    Topics: 33

I’ve been running TCW-3 in my fleet of Lawnboy two-stroke mowers for more than 40 years. Not one power head failure or even plug fouling. Funny, I have BOUGHT a few that came with a fouled plug and the PO was using the Lawnboy air-cooled oil!!

steveh
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 112
    Topics: 23

I had a bunch of it left over one year. I burned it off in my Craftsman lawn tractor at about 100:1. Of course, the tractor is a 4 stroke and the plug did foul after awhile. I changed the plug and thereafter added Seafoam to the mix. That stopped the fouling. It was a little smokey, but ran fine. That was several years ago and I’m still using the tractor…

drifter
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 108
    Topics: 69

I have been doing it for nearly 25 years in trimmers, chain saws, and blowers and had no problems whatsoever.

kerry
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 334
    Topics: 15

I’m with Frank and Tubs. I run TCW in all of my 2 strokes and have not fouled a plug in 20 plus years. I thought (dangerous, I know) that I read once that TCW has a lower ash residue, due to the lower burn off temps of outboards. My “logic” is the oil is needed in the crankcase, which is generally cooler than the cylinder. Its the burn off that differs. My Riobi weed wacker has the same plug it came with 12 or so years ago, still fires up fine. Three years ago I finally treated my old Toro snowblower to a new plug. Not much difference, but it deserved it after the 33 years of service it gave me so far. Oh, I have been using synthetic for the last 10 or so years, but notice its getting harder to find unless I get $$$ oil. Anyone use semi syn with similar results?

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4318
    Topics: 43

In all fairness, the “logic” is only half valid. The hottest part of the engine is at the exhaust ports, and that is where most of the wear occurs. It’s sort of a battle. The oil must provide cylinder lubrication, but in a perfect world it would burn off before being discharged into the water we drink and air we breathe. Solve that problem and get rich. Oh yeah, burn off with no smoke or smog also.

vintage.1958

Replies: 16
    Topics: 2

My last purchase of weed eater 2 stroke oil is Valvoline with the TCW3 designation on the label. Lists all types of water and air cooled applications on it. Got it from NAPA. Previous oil was labeled for air cooled engines no TCW3 mentioned on it. And another observation on gasoline. Casey’s General Store is now selling 91 octane gasoline without ethanol. Found it at a local one I’ve never been to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.