Home Forum Ask A Member Test Wheel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ken-w
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is it possible to make a test wheel from an old propeller by cutting it down?

vintin
      Participant

Interesting idea!

pappy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Absolutely !!
          Cut the blades of an existing propeller in an arc, concentric around the centerline. Cut as much as you need to achieve WOT RPM at a predetermined static water line.

RICK EICHRODT
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very true, you can indeed make a test wheel. When I was at the Mercury service school some years back, that is what they did, cut down props and by lopping off say 1 to 2 inches off the diameter, they achieved their goal of WOT in the test tank.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

This is how Consumers Union did it …

. . . 🙄

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Interesting that in spite of all that grief and failures, all were rated "Acceptable". I guess people didn’t expect much in those days?? But congrats to the three that made it for 100 hours. Not surprisingly, Johnson and Merc 5hp and Evinrude 7.5.

Mumbles
                Participant

It looks like the TN and Fleetwin were at the top of their class along with the little Merc!

That would be a great job running motors at full throttle all day long and not having to pay the repair bill when they break! How do I apply? :mrgreen:

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Knowing what I know about Mercury Super Fives and their fragile lower units, I am very surprised at its making it past 100 hours. I’m pleased, but surprised. Then again, I am just as surprised that the Fleetwin didn’t throw a rod…..

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.