Home Forum Ask A Member Tester?

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy in Tampa
    Participant

Which new electronic tester would be best to buy for testing condensers and coils on pre-1972 motors? It would need to work on old row boat motors and all early square tanks also 😕

chris-p
      Participant

Not new, but why not get a Mercotronic?

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Mercotronic or Stevens will do what you ask and much more..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

Tom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Ok, third try on this response, I don’t know what’s happening…

There are several instruments out there that can measure capacitance. But that’s not the whole story for condensers in a magneto circuit. What has been the most accurate predictor of how a condenser will function in a mag for me, is a measure of leakage current at the operating voltage of the condenser. The Merc-o-tronic instruments are great at this, and I think some of them measure capacitance, too. The old Stevens testers with the neon light are good, but don’t measure capacitance.

I’ve rebuilt a couple of the old Heathkit C-2 capacitor testers, and they work really well. Even the homemade condenser testers with the neon lights are pretty good. If you have a good standard, you can measure the flash rate and use it to predict capacitance. The Heathkit IT-11 and IT-28 units are really nice, but pretty pricey.

Good Luck with this…

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.