Home Forum Ask A Member The Best Diagnostic Tool I Own

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Over the years I have collected a good amount of outboard ignition testing equipment. Some of it was relatively expensive. I was reminded recently while working on a friend’s 1957 ELTO 5 hp that the most important piece of ignition testing equipment I have is a set of $5 inline spark testers. They can be used with the motor running and take away much of the guess work.

I have had coils and condensers test fine with a Mercotronic, Stevens, Perry and a multimeter only to fail in use. The inline spark testers provide immediate feedback and take up little room in the toolbox.

14F69397-9182-4B62-9809-D1E729F69CB0

F0FE8664-D92D-4E50-96D2-F99C5EBE20CE

4331A6C9-86AE-4759-9474-0817BD681536

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by wbeaton.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by wbeaton.
      Mumbles
      Participant

I’m a firm believer of inline spark testers to and use them all the time. Technically, they are more of a spark ‘indicator’ as they don’t really put a load on the coil as a Merc O Tronic does but they sure give you a good idea of what is going on under the flywheel!!

Here’s a link to some I bought from Britain which I really like. They are a bit pricey but they shine a bright red and would probably look really cool on a motorcycle at night! Or on an outboard at night with the hood off!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spark-Plug-and-HT-Lead-Testers-Testing-tool-SET-OF-FOUR/111584294839?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item19faf137b7:g:Xv4AAOSw8UZaEwLh

The spark testers in action.

https://youtu.be/sGuFGDT_cWk

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

What’s funny is the ELTO magneto above passed the Mercotronic ignition test. The coils and condensers were new and each component passed the tests both individually and as an entire magneto. This was one case where the only diagnostic tool that showed a problem was the inline spark tester. The problem turned out to be a faulty condenser. Even though it was new and passed the condenser tests on several pieces of equipment it would fail after a few seconds of running. It was a real head scratcher!

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, the simplest equipment can be the most valuable…. I feel one of the most valuable tools of the trade can not be bought, and isn’t in any tool box, common sense. The “KISS” method has always helped me out of a jam when I “over analyze” simple problems..

Mumbles
            Participant

Going the ‘KISS’ route can easily be done to with a few simple items everyone probably has laying around their shop. I like these ones as the air gap can be adjusted quite wide.

– Two good spark plugs, either new or used.

– Two water hose clamps.

– Two Cable clips

IMGP1621

Another easy way to make a simple spark tester is to screw good plugs into an old cylinder head and then attach a ground wire to the head and a cable clip to the other end of the wire. The clip clips onto any good ground so spark can be checked for all cylinders at once. I can’t find a photo but you should be able to get the idea.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
              wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Those are all great testers and worth their weight in gold. I made a tiny set of jumper cables for open-air spark testing. It works especially well for open flywheel motors. Adding a spark plug with no ground electrode or a huge gap further helps identify ignition problems. I like the inline testers with the lights best because the flash is so large and you can run them on the boat without fear of starting a fire.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.