The End Of Prufrex OMC Coils?

Home Forum Ask A Member The End Of Prufrex OMC Coils?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)

• oldoutboardjim

Replies: 16
    Topics: 16

I just talked to my supplier, and they just learned today that Prufrex (a German company) has decided to stop production of the OMC coils (J802). Super bummer! Apparently the Chinese knock-offs and some corporate soul-searching caused them to make this decision. If this is true (and it seems to be), it will mark the end of, in my humble opinion, the absolute best-made coil of any style or brand. 😮

archangel

Replies: 118
    Topics: 21

Any idea how much longer you will be able to get them, Jim?

outboardnut

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

http://standardmagneto.com/index.html

oldoutboardjim

quote Archangel:

Any idea how much longer you will be able to get them, Jim?

No idea. Sounds like Prufrex will not be making them at all. If that’s true, then whatever inventory is on hand will be the last.

melugin

Replies: 260
    Topics: 32

Jim, what kind of support can we offer to encourage a sustained production? I understand that few dealers get involved with the ancient magnetos, and our club will be sole source consumers. Has production stopped and can we determine current inventory?
    You came thru on the Bendix coils, and I thank you. Call me, and let’s see what resources we might manage.

lloyd

Replies: 453
    Topics: 4

Terrible news! I was afraid this was inevitable as soon as I saw those cheap Chinese knockoffs being sold at NAPA and on Ebay.

jerry-ahrens

Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I noticed the Chinese ones coming in from my supplier last fall. The Chinese ones seem to be a little less on quality but seem to work ok. I wonder if they will last?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

probaly last a lot longer than the original OMC .coils ! and longer than us aging oldies collectors 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

oldoutboardjim

quote melugin:

Jim, what kind of support can we offer to encourage a sustained production?

Roger, I really appreciate the thought. I was told that All Products Automotive suggested that they would order several thousand coils, but Prufrex did not change their mind. I’m guessing that I am a major supplier to AOMCI members; but the quantities that I deal in are pretty small in comparison. I really don’t think there is enough demand within the collector community to convince Prufrex to continue production.

Anonymous

Replies: 26
    Topics: 18

I don’t understand as these coils are listed for engines through the 70’s. I can’t believe there isn’t enough demand.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.