Home Forum Ask A Member The End Of Prufrex OMC Coils?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Plenty of demand. This is about price. Ever hear the old adage "You don’t make money the way you sell it, you make money the way you buy it". That’s what is going on here. Buyers are looking for cheaper suppliers (China). We will see what happens to price after the competition is gone! And that is given that quality is the same which in the short run usually isn’t. China is catching up though!

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
      Participant

There are motors into the late 80’s which still use these…I.E. the 1 cylinder 2hp OMC’s still use a magneto.

I guess maintaining 45 year old motors isn’t a priority to companies in terms of sales volume 🙂

tom-in-ri
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I go out of my way to buy non-Chinese products. That also means paying a bit more. I am happy to have the German coils in my engine. If they were Chinese coils I would always feel as if I am on the edge of failure.
          Same goes for trailer wheel bearings. All the "kits" have Chinese bearings. It didn’t take much searching to find US, Mexico or Japanese bearings that have proven QA/qc.

kees
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years

cold comfort
            there is nothing that remains
            everything changes
            factories, parts, world economies, reliability and ……….also people
            just accept and go, it is…. as it is 🙁

johnyrude200
            Participant

For what it’s worth, China & Japan own part of the U.S. anyways. I’m just wondering when collection day will occur, our economy and armed forces collapse due to non-pay of troops, and we lose our country to eminent domain. Look at what happened last year when all the federal offices went on strike. Stop paying people, let alone those risking their lives to protect others, and you get to see just how fast financial mismanagement destroys everything. Remember the government is simply a large-scale business run by the people. At the end of the day, the pursuit of financial gain ultimately controls everything.

Look at what happened just 3 weeks ago with the boards going down. What was everyone clamoring about? "Well the AOMCI should pay this person or that person to do this or that with the website, newsletter, forum, blah blah." It all comes down to how, where, and when money is pushed around and to whom’s interest.

The USSR 25 years ago…huge national deficit, enormous military, economic collapse, and bye-bye superpower. Every superpower in the history of mankind has collapsed due to the same situation we are in…you can never recover from an 18 trillion dollar deficit. It’s a fiscal impossibility. Persia, Rome, etc. And those countries were far large than the U.S.

Folks don’t realize that we don’t own our homes. You may have a property deed which says you are the property ‘owner,’ but if you look close, the state actually owns the land. We are just renting the land, which is part of why we are taxed. In other countries, you are the sovereign owner of your land. The U.S. doesn’t work this way, we pay rent. And the state owes money due to national debt, and the owner of that promissory note (i.e. $$$ lender), is the person who has the lien against the borrower. So China owns most of the U.S. land-wise. What happens if you default on your mortgage? Foreclosure at the mortgagers option. And we have a 17 trillion dollar deficit, along with a currency that continues to fall, due to the U.S. mint just running off more and more paper money, digging a bigger hole….

If you look at the way loan sharks work on a business level, they lend money to someone not expecting them to pay it back, then they run the interest up, let you borrow more, and continue until they eventually own everything you have for assets. What do you think is going on right now with our country and lands to all of the other countries we are borrowing from?

OK, I’m off my soap box now 🙂

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jason,
                I think that’s where the cheaper choice comes into play. if the Chinese ones are "good enough" then people want the cheaper one. like in every aspect of our lives (at least here in America) people want the cheapest nearly every time.

so I think there is still a demand for coils (although that must be declining as well for older outboards) just not for the more expensive, better quality prufex ones.

scott

outboardnut
                Participant

years ago I ordered some coils from Russ Larsen
                  It came with the packaging of
                  http://standardmagneto.com/index.html
                  Out of curiosity has anyone tried them?

kees
                  Participant

International Member - 2 Years

johnyrude200
                    very well said, I think you understand it all quite perfect.

😉

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

When I posted my response about buyers I wasn’t talking about us club members as buyers. I was talking about the big buyers. Distributors. Manufacturers (BRP,Mercury,etc). They want to optimize profits at every turn. That is the way our corp system works.
                      I also like the way you think JohnnyRude. For a younger man you seem to have a grasp of the situation. Now if we could just get people to get on board that our commander-n chief wants to see the end of the USA as we know it … Just my opinion I may be wrong!

Dan in TN

dave-bernard
                      Participant

NO you are correct.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.