Home Forum Ask A Member There has to be a better way to remove the prop shaft seal

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

if you have a dremel use it to cut a groove so you can split it in half.

chris-p
      Participant

Boy, that looks like a bad one!

Is it a salty? I never have issues like that here in the middle of the country!

marvk
        Participant

No, I don’t believe it’s a salt water motor. I would expect lots more corrosion or build up in the cooling passageways. I have the powerhead off, and this one is pretty clean in that regard.

It’s almost there. I just need a little more patience. I just had to set it aside for awhile. I was hoping to get it running this weekend, but there is always next weekend. 🙂

dan-in-tn
          Participant

It may be a little late now, but I heat the bearing head. Clean it good & pull the rubber out so it won’t smoke so bad then put it in an oven. About 275 for 30 min. The aluminum will grow away from the brass and soften the gunk. You need a pair of welders gloves to handle it, but the seal usually comes right out. The brass bushing is cast in to the aluminum so no damage is done there. That’s the way I do anything that is stuck in aluminum that can be heated.

Dan in TN

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Reminds me of Mercury seals. Try using a cut off wheel on a dremel to start pealing it off. My Hat’s off to you getting that far with none or little damage. You might try heat too. I’ve had impeller housings glued in with sealer & needed to get the goop hot in order to get it to release.
              Keep up the good work!!

frankr
              Participant

A "cape chisel" is a version of what mumbles suggested. It’s what I use. Sometimes. In the case of gearcase heads, I do as somebody else suggested—cut them out on a lathe.
                Another suggestion: Got a Dremel tool? Grind just barely through a spot on one side of the shell that you have left and it will fall out.

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank R.
                  May I ask the cost of a small lathe used for small jobs like this. Where would a guy look to buy a used one also?
                  Thank you

frankr
                  Participant

Heck, I don’t know. I bought my ancient 9" South Bend on e-bay several years ago. Then spent just about as much again on repairs, updates and tooling.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for the reply. Guess it’s like looking up a drill motor, anything goes with size etc.
                      At any rate I hope you get the old seal out without too much more problems.
                      Reminds me of my current project. Inching forward at best to find more Got-Ya’s.
                      Good luck!

marvk
                      Participant

Success! Finally got it out! 😀 Picture is kinda crappy, from my phone. I just have to press in the new one, and I can continue on.

I can’t believe that I didn’t score the surface at all. I ended up using a pencil air grinder, similar to Dremel, with an 1/8" carbide cutter. Split it in half and it pulled it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.