Home Forum Ask A Member This looks heavy.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    chinewalker
    Participant

US Member

The bolt-ons alone are worth twice that!

bullie
      Participant

I’m gonna try to check it out this evening.

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

bullie- you might want to go and get it. Like others have said, the bolt on parts and the stand are worth more than $100.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

bullie
          Participant
            bullie
            Participant

It’s not really my cup of tea but I picked it up. The lower unit was there along with an odd piece or two.

bobw
              Participant

US Member

Now it looks really heavy!!!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

β€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

That lower unit puts the age at late 47 to 1949. It is the unit used by the 50 horse storm boat motor and uses a .988" prop shaft. In 1950 they changed to a slimmer unit that is faster on a light boat. The early Speeditwins used an Elto pattern that was very fast. They had some problems with the water intake being covered with weeds. They modified the case making the water intake wider and adding a pipe tapped hole at the top with a plug screwed in. The idea was you could take out the plug and screw in a length of pipe (with the end cut at an angle) so you could pile up six inches of weeds and still pump water. These pre-war cases used a .788" prop shaft. The Storm Boat Motor lower Unit had wings on the gearcase to protect the prop when running up on beaches. This added drag made the ’46 and 47 Speeditwins the slowest ever built. Knowledgable owners took a hacksaw to these protrusions.

When the 5,000 left over lower units from the last Storm Boat Motor contract (for the invasion of Japan in 1946) were used up, the later castings were wingless. Clyde Wiseman (Wysco Piston Co.) made a copy of the Elto pattern gearcase that was used in APBA "C" Service racing. He had a "Heavy duty" model with a heavy duty pinion bearing and .988" prop shaft for the BigFour. Dad’s modified Big Four on a Lyman lapstrake boat clocked 54 MPH through a measured mile using that Wiseman gearcase. One of Dad’s modified gear cases was modified By the factory (They took the sharp point off the nose & shortened the case above the exhaust outlet) and put on the 1950 Speeditwins and Speedifours. Several of our AOMCI members Big Fours are using those 1950 lower Units. The last models of these cases had a water scoop behind the prop. The Elto pattern is still the fastest and the one to race. . . 😎

bullie
                  Participant

Thanks Gary. Interesting stuff. So this may be a motor used to race? Maybe that is why the LU wasn’t on it. Maybe the original was removed and set aside.

I know less than nothing about this motor. I did pull the plugs last night and squirt in a bit of fogging oil. The flywheel is spinning fairly easily with a really satisfying in whomp whomp sound. I really like the stand I got with the motor. I am guessing it is a 51 just due to the color. I have a 51 3.3 that matches the shade really well. I am definitely gonna hang onto the stand.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

The Elto pattern lower Unit is highly coveted by Antique "C" Service racers and I have seen bidding wars on them that pushed the price well over 500 dollars . . . 😎

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

There were some "C" racers at our International meet last year (Besides mine) . . . πŸ˜†

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.