Home Forum Ask A Member timing with multimeter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hello, i want to adjust ignition timing on my qd19. i watched a couple videos on how to do it. i have 2 questions. is it worth getting the timing fixture? and when setting the timing, does the throttle need to be in a specific position? thank you

mn

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you plan to be in this hobby long-term, then yes, the timing fixture is very handy.

Throttle position makes no difference.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

yes/no and no

Timing fixture is great I tried both methods and only use the fixture now but…. a meter works fine also but you have to fish a few small wires under the mag plate and reinstall the FW for doing the test

if you only have one… in your collection may as well use a meter alone. If you plan to work on several other oldies as the “collector virus” spreads and infects you go ahead get a fixture 🙂

no… set it half way if you are worried .

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

wrenchero
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thank you for the help.just ordered timing fixture

mn

rudderless
            Participant

Good to check timing at the end with a strobe with the motor running. One would be surprised after painstaking static timing to find it a little different with the motor running using a strobe. More important to make both cylinders the same than worry about an exact point on the wheel…give or take a little…

wrenchero
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

how does that work? where do i point the light? at the same marks on the armature

mn

Mumbles
                Participant

If you get the timing tool for your ten horse motor, it will also work for the 5.5, 6, 7.5, 10, 15, 18, 20, and 25 horse motors from the early fifties thru the mid seventies. It will be one of the best investments you ever make.

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I prefer a magneto synchronizer to a multimeter. It works with the magneto fully assembled and connected. All you do is set the points. Well worth the investment.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/synchronizer_12-16903.php

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

If you get the timing tool for your ten horse motor, it will also work for the 5.5, 6, 7.5, 10, 15, 18, 20, and 25 horse motors from the early fifties thru the mid seventies. It will be one of the best investments you ever make.

EXCEPT, that tool does not fit the 1950’s 25 hp, but does fit the late 1960’s and up 25 hp as the crank shafts tapers are different

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

wrenchero
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thank you all for the help. awaiting timing tool. i should be able to try it out next weekend

mn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.