Home Forum Ask A Member Tn-26 and TN-28 differences

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

The johnson TN-26 and TN-28’s look absolutely identical. Any major changes between the two that are noteworthy?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Magneto and recoil starter are two major items. I THINK there is a difference in powerhead mounting pattern also, not sure on that.

bbstacker1
        Participant

I haven’t tinkered with either one in a while but I think, the crankshaft and driveshaft’s are different also.

richg
          Participant

TN-26 has the same magneto as the earlier TD-20. By that I mean the older style coils that rarely went bad and the pusher type points like the TD-20.
            TN-28 has the "Universal style" magneto common to the 1950’s onward classics.

archangel
            Participant

Was the change when the TN-27 was introduced or was the change for the TN-28 only?

bbstacker1
              Participant

I have a couple of TN-27’s they both have the universal (newer style) coils.

richg
                Participant
                  quote Archangel:

Was the change when the TN-27 was introduced or was the change for the TN-28 only?

The TN-25 and TN-26 have the old TD style magneto. The TN-27 and TN-28 both have the "new" Universal magneto.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.