Home Forum Ask A Member Tonight’s episode “What do I have here”?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    2fast4me
    Participant

The lower unit looks like my Johnson A-25 but the rope shieve only had the No. A4344. oh yeah I think it has a cast aluminum tank. Still trying to resize pictures. Jim

2Fast4Me

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Serial number is a 1923 Model A also known as a Waterbug. Photos would help.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

2fast4me
        Participant

Thanks Wayne, i tried attaching photos. I haven’t got the hang of reducing the picture size yet. Ill clean up the little thing tomorrow at work and get some posted. Thanks again. Jim

2Fast4Me

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

1823 should have a cast fuel tank, a stepped flywheel, a timer lever with an aluminium button and an anticavitation plate that is separate from the gearcase. All these things should be different than your A25. Also check to see if the serial number on the block matches the rope sheave. You can email me the photos if you’d like. I can post them for you.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your serial number makes it a 1923 A model.In addition to features already mentioned,it should have plated steel down tube,steering handle and tiller tube.Later models had those items made of plated brass.

2fast4me
              Participant

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like that’s what I’ve got. The chrome is worn away from the tiller and bracket but the down tube looks good, I’ll know more when it’s degreased. spark plug wires are gone so i don’t know what’s under the flywheel.
                Well work wore me out today, to tired to proceed. Maybe I’ll get it cleaned and pictures tomorrow. I’ll be back.

2Fast4Me

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by 2fast4me.
                2fast4me
                Participant

picture added

20200618_170957

20200618_171017

20200618_171040

2Fast4Me

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
                  wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Congratulations. You’ve got a bonafide 1923 model A. Great motor. Hard tank model A’s are the most desirable of the series.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

2fast4me
                    Participant

It’s revealed some secrets now that the grease and grime is thinned out. I’ll look under the flywheel tomorrow. I’m sometimes amazed how well these old birds are preserved. Glad to have this one.

2Fast4Me

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The coils are usually good. The condenser may need to be replaced. Easy motors to start and run. Perfect antique motor without a big price tag.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.