Home Forum Ask A Member Too Much Float Drop Causing Float/Needle To Stick?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

Nothing wrong with this Gale 25hp carb that I can find, but every time the bowl is drained the float sticks open – tap on the bowl with screwdriver handle and float/needle work just fine. I’m starting to think too much float drop is letting the needle get crooked or some other way hanging up on the seat.

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

While we are on the subject of float drop; perhaps I can get a better understanding of it and why it is adjustable (or in need of adjustment).

Is the area that it catches on able to be ground down just a bit?

1946zephyr
        Participant

Ahh yes. Those big twins are notorious for flooding, if the float drop is not set correctly. The little tab on the back side of the float will take care of that. Allowing the float to drop for than 1/4" is pointless anyhow, because the needle is closing off a tiny little hole, to begin with.
          All I do, is hold the float up, in the closed position and bend the little tab toward the carb body that hold the needle and seat.

beerman57
          Participant

From now on I’ll pay more (any) attention to float drop and set most OMC motors with only a little drop.

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
              quote 1946Zephyr:

Allowing the float to drop for than 1/4″ is pointless anyhow, because the needle is closing off a tiny little hole, to begin with.

Exactly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.