Home Forum Ask A Member Top shaft seal leaking of 1967 18hp Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

I was told by the previous owner that is 1967. But I could not sure since the name tag is hard to read. Could you identify it by these pictures. The model number 18602C

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Evinrude 25.
      Evinrude 25
      Participant

There was some oil on the magplate and point. The magplate shows on the picture after I cleaned it up so it looks so clean.

Evinrude 25
        Participant

I clean this area a bit and take picture for you to view. It is nicely machined of this recess area. It does not look like a gouge.

Mumbles
          Participant

Now I have to go and take a peek at some 18’s I have in pieces. For the life of me, I don’t ever recall seeing that passage coming up past the top seal. But then again, I don’t seem to recall lots of things these days.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
            billw
            Participant

US Member

No, Don, it was me that was looking at the diagram wrong. You’re right. There is no top o-ring! Sorry for any confusion that I added to this thread.

Long live American manufacturing!

Evinrude 25
              Participant

There is no O-ring on 1966. So how does it seal between the bearing and casting? What is this passage for?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No, Don, it was me that was looking at the diagram wrong. You’re right. There is no top o-ring! Sorry for any confusion that I added to this thread.

This is a confusing topic indeed!  For the life of me, I can’t figure out why the engineers thought this system would be a good idea.  The ideal system would have been to incorporate both the oring and this recirc system as a “back up”..  This system creates alot of confusion, along with many upper seals being replaced that are not really damaged.  It is easy to understand how an oring would be “added” during a rebuild, assuming that the lack of an oring was a manufacturing error.  But, adding the oring interferes with the recirc system and can cause excess oil build up on the mag plate.

Ok, well you mention there was some oil on the mag plate, but how much?  There will always be a little bit, can’t avoid it.   I can’t see what you saw, so it is hard for me to advise.  You do want to make sure that the recirc hole/passage is clear though into the intake system, otherwise the system won’t work at all.  I would not attempt to remove that seal without the proper OMC seal puller though.  I guess if it were mine, I would clean up/relube/service the mag plate reinstall, then use the engine.  Pull the flywheel again after putting some hours on it to check for excess oil build up on the mag plate.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is no O-ring on 1966. So how does it seal between the bearing and casting? What is this passage for?

You are right, no oring between the bearing case and casting, kind of silly.  So, some oil will surely be forced out between the bearing and case into the upper seal area.  The little relief in the casting is where there is a small relief port that is piped down into the front of reeds/intake.  So, there will be low pressure/vacuum applied to that little hole/port (the hole is not visible with the crankcase assembled).   The theory is that any oil that might be forced between the casing/casting or through a bad upper seal will be drawn back down into the intake manifold before it can get all over the mag plate.

A better idea would have been to use the oring in conjunction with this “recirc system”.    But again, do not add an oring to one of these engines, it blocks the recirc port and can create more of an oil leak/mess.    Just wish they had moved the groove in the bearing down just a bit, so the oring could have been used without blocking the recirc port.

Would love to be able to talk to the engineers that came up with stuff like this to understand their thought process, maybe I am missing something.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

isn’t all this similar to the oil slinger process  whereby any excess oil leaking out the top  is sucked back in  ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

RICHARD A. WHITE
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

There is a seal puller for these motors…. If interested message me as I make them… I have 14 here now…. which means I gotta buy more material to make more, weeee…lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                        classicomctools@gmail.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.