Top speed with 18hp Evinrude on 14′ aluminum

Home Forum Ask A Member Top speed with 18hp Evinrude on 14′ aluminum

This topic contains 105 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar stephenspann27 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
    stephenspann27

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

Replies: 86
    Topics: 2

The carb butterfly is opening all the way and the timing advance goes to the max. I don’t think my motors has any kind of shift lock stuff? I can start it in gear, and I can go wide open in neutral. I’ll double check.

stephenspann27

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

I bet this piece is supposed to be taller isn’t it?

stephenspann27

Here are the positions at WOT

david-bartlett

Replies: 1228
    Topics: 105
    quote stephenspann27:

I bet this piece is supposed to be taller isn’t it?

Yes it is, that one has been cut off. Nothing to stop you from going to WOT regardless of whether it is in gear or not.

You don’t have a reed problem? Stuck really bad on one side?

stephenspann27

maybe I do, I haven’t had the manifold off on this motor yet.

stephenspann27

I"m going to cave in today and yank the powerhead and start pulling it apart until I find something wrong.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4185
    Topics: 424

Hold on a moment before you do anything drastic. The last step on the brass plate might make contact with the block at WOT, not the shift lock lever. I’m sure some models do. There’s a few 18’s in the garage so I’ll take a look when I go out there.

Do you know if any mag parts have been swapped around in the past? There’s a reason that shift lock lever has been shortened and the motor not making full RPM could be it.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years

On this ’65 FD with a ’72 Evinrude powerhead/mag on it, at max throttle the brass plate does make contact with the lock lever but on this ’63 Gale built 15, the contact is made on the starboard bracket, leaving a slight air gap between the plate and the lever. Hmmmm…..

I have more 18’s but they aren’t handy at the moment.

Attachments:

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years

Going thru this thread again, I think you have already shown us the problem.

The pistons and rings in your white Ebay motor are scored. The motor will never be able to develop its designed horsepower in that condition. Pistons, rings and cylinder walls should be smooth with no grooves or scoring for the rings to seal correctly. Bottom line, the motor is tired and needs attention.

Attachments:

stephenspann27

The above is correct, I just thought since it had good compression and passed the leak down test it was worth trying some other things. I tore the powerhead all the way down this morning. Not a single gasket was leaking, the burn looked even between the cylinders according to the piston tops and the carbon on the head. No smoking guns as far as getting fuel/air in and out of the motor. The verdict is a like mentioned above, the pistons and rings are scored. The rings are still free on the pistons, and bores are not terrible. The motor has definitely been hot. The crank bearing surfaces are blue from running hot. The crank bearing surface at the top (where the seal was leaking) is trashed. The crank out took out of my original, blue powrehead is actually in better shape than this one. Pictures in the next post.

stephenspann27

stephenspann27

Crank from teh white powerhead on the right

stephenspann27

david-bartlett

Replies: 1228
    Topics: 105

Stephen,

That one is surely worn out. It is like Bill W said, they will continue to run way beyond when they should quit. Time for a new powerhead on your otherwise good motor.

In your next to last picture, the reed plate looks like one of the reeds was not lined up properly to seal. Maybe this happened when you took it apart. NOt really an issue now, but was just curious if this had anything to do with your dry spark plug issue.

stephenspann27

quote david bartlett:

Stephen,

That one is surely worn out. It is like Bill W said, they will continue to run way beyond when they should quit. Time for a new powerhead on your otherwise good motor.

In your next to last picture, the reed plate looks like one of the reeds was not lined up properly to seal. Maybe this happened when you took it apart. NOt really an issue now, but was just curious if this had anything to do with your dry spark plug issue.

On the reeds, yea that was my fault, I had taken them apart then just slapped them together. The motor was really in great shape as far as gaskets, torque specs, and corrosion.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.