Home Forum Ask A Member trimming an impeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    speedlinerbu
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

They tell me that you can replace a green tank mercury 10 pump impeller (47-21164) with an omc 395289 if you reduce the thickness (height).
      Assuming this to be true does anyone know how much needs to be taken off and the best method for doing so? Many thanks.

mercuryman
      Participant

I used a bench disk sander, I made a snug fit with the cover plate on, just a little thicker than the old one.

jw-in-dixie
        Participant

Are you referring to the KE 9/16" shaft dia or the KG 5/8"?

Thanks, JW in Dixie

speedlinerbu
          Participant

To JW in Dixie: It’s a Wizard WG-7. shaft size 5/8".
            To Mercuryman: many thanks!

Randy in Tampa
            Participant

I hope I don’t upset any members because some like to keep this stuff secret but,the I/D and O/D of the OMC 395289 or the Sierra 18–3051 are the same but the thickness is different, I was told by a member that the way he fixes this is to slowly sand down one side on the belt sander checking to make sure you keep it uniform. Another way is to make a jig on a bandsaw and simply cut it the right dimention, I believe when you get it right it should fit the later KF7 and KG7 and I believe the KG4 also? Please let us know if this works for you after you tested it, thanks 🙂

speedlinerbu
              Participant

My Wizard WG-7 has 9/16 shaft. The OMC substitute has a 5/8 hole. Hopefully I can still trim
                and use in my Mercury KF-7.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.