Home Forum Ask A Member Trouble with oil seals !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hag
    Participant

This is more of a general question or a poll of members on tips and tricks on getting old oil seals out. I’ve pulled a lot out but each one has been a problem! Now I get worried each time I have to do one. They have done a mind game on me! 😈

What tips or tricks do members have?

I have used the oil seal pullers, slide hammer pullers, screw drivers and added gentle heat but never easy. Maybe not suppose to be?
      Hag

jim-moffatt
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My advice is to curse a lot – its good therapy!

hag
        Participant

Ha I think that I’m double or triple dosing on that therapy, some times I overdose!

ggoldy
          Participant

An article on the removal and installation of seals would make for good reading. I’m currently fretting over the cork seals and retainers in an Elto Ace. I found I can ‘ping’ the retainers to tighten up the seals, but I fear that will be temporary at best.

chris-p
            Participant

What seals in particular do you seem to have trouble with?

ggoldy
              Participant

I have two cork grease seals in the foot of an Alto Ace. I ‘pinged’ the retainers, and that tightened them up. But it may be temporary. It would be nice to read or watch a video as someone pulls the retainers without buggering up the thin aluminium casting surrounding them. Or replaces them altogether with modern rubber seals. Ever done that?

Chris, it just hit me. You weren’t asking me, were you LOL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.