Home Forum Ask A Member Turtle 9.5hp shifter linkage slipping out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

what is the secret ??

my winter project is causing me some grief….

As I rotate the shifter handle across stop…shift…start… fast it eventually slips out of gear and free turn around

I can eventually re engage the horizontal linkage push gear (cam)that rotates the mag plate but…. it slips out again

I inspected the horizontal “pusher” for wear and it is OK the small gear engaging it #74 on the tiller does have a bit of wear but I do not believe it is enough to cause the ” slip out”

any special secret to prevent this slippage out of gear ??

Cam-9.5hp-9122R-0380880

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

By slipping out of gear, you are referring to the throttle gears, not the forward/N/reverse gears, right? Let’s see if I can remember this correctly. The first tooth on tiller sector gear must engage the first groove on the horizontal rack gear. To accomplish this, the tiller arm and rack gear must be removed from the motor and assembled outside. Then insert the whole shebang into the motor as an assembly and fasten everything.

I think I got that right.

Mumbles
        Participant

It can be lined up correctly without having to remove any major parts. You just have to fiddle faddle with it a bit.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I guess this becomes my winter project -B .. lining up these gears

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

F.R. The first tooth on tiller sector gear must engage the first groove on the horizontal rack gear.

Well after 10-15 tries it would slip out of gear every time I lowered the tiller handle to the horizontal position 🙁

Soooo….. I did it (suddenly remembered) Frank’s suggestion… piece of cake 🙂

bend down look up into the gear mating surfaces (tiller and cam) and as soon as you the first ridge on the horizontal cam present the first tiller gear at the rear of the tiller and engage the cam ridge.

voilà… no more gear slips works perfectly

such a simple thing ..to remember on my next turtle.

Thanks FR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.