Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I spotted this rattle can masterpiece yesterday evening on Craigslist and picked it up today. I think it is an Atlas Royal 1.5 hp. Made by Gale? Anyway, it looks mostly there and the price was good. The PO poured some kinda oil in the tank so it looks good. It has spark when I first turned it but something is scraping now and it is no longer producing spark. Any information about them?
      Looks like there was some sort of cover on the carb that is missing.

49hiawatha
      Participant

Give us a photo shot of the ID plate in blue. Model # and Serial # should be on it. 1948-1949 1.5 HP motors made by Gale include Hiawatha , Montgomery Ward (share tank dimensions), Goodyear, Viking, Royal with a limited production of 1950 Spiegel Brooklure and Buccaneer. Internals and carbs are the same but steering handle/tanks vary. Your steering handle (2 parts) is messed up. You appear to not have the carb cover and have a "random" carb knob.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

carb knob looks like elgin.

creekrunner
          Participant

Com’on Dave ……as if Betty Ann would know……jeeze……..tell it like you see it…..

bullie
            Participant

frankr
              Participant

Yep, an Atlas Royal 1.5hp 1948-49 made by Gale

bullie
                Participant

Compression is 60lbs. Don’t really know what to expect on a motor like this.

49hiawatha
                  Participant

Your Atlas "Royal" shares a similar tank with the Goodyear "Sea Bee" and the two part steering steering/collapsible arm.Doug Penn has the correct newly made rubber grip. See my extensive postings here on the carb knob issues for these Gale motors. Initially pressed on plastic/color coded to private label paint schemes and midway in 1949 run , cast metal with screw , also color coded.

bullie
                    Participant

I decided to revisit this little jewel. No spark. I pulled off the tank and the flywheel. I believe the coil is bad. What do I need to look for?

dave-bernard
                      Participant

check point contact first.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 75 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.