Ugly Duckling

Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

This topic contains 74 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar paulfromyork 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
    bullie

Replies: 429
    Topics: 59

I spotted this rattle can masterpiece yesterday evening on Craigslist and picked it up today. I think it is an Atlas Royal 1.5 hp. Made by Gale? Anyway, it looks mostly there and the price was good. The PO poured some kinda oil in the tank so it looks good. It has spark when I first turned it but something is scraping now and it is no longer producing spark. Any information about them?
    Looks like there was some sort of cover on the carb that is missing.

49hiawatha

Replies: 267
    Topics: 25

Give us a photo shot of the ID plate in blue. Model # and Serial # should be on it. 1948-1949 1.5 HP motors made by Gale include Hiawatha , Montgomery Ward (share tank dimensions), Goodyear, Viking, Royal with a limited production of 1950 Spiegel Brooklure and Buccaneer. Internals and carbs are the same but steering handle/tanks vary. Your steering handle (2 parts) is messed up. You appear to not have the carb cover and have a "random" carb knob.

betty-ann-bernardd

Replies: 163
    Topics: 2

carb knob looks like elgin.

creekrunner
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 83
    Topics: 20

Com’on Dave ……as if Betty Ann would know……jeeze……..tell it like you see it…..

bullie

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4326
    Topics: 43

Yep, an Atlas Royal 1.5hp 1948-49 made by Gale

bullie

Compression is 60lbs. Don’t really know what to expect on a motor like this.

49hiawatha

Replies: 267
    Topics: 25

Your Atlas "Royal" shares a similar tank with the Goodyear "Sea Bee" and the two part steering steering/collapsible arm.Doug Penn has the correct newly made rubber grip. See my extensive postings here on the carb knob issues for these Gale motors. Initially pressed on plastic/color coded to private label paint schemes and midway in 1949 run , cast metal with screw , also color coded.

bullie

I decided to revisit this little jewel. No spark. I pulled off the tank and the flywheel. I believe the coil is bad. What do I need to look for?

betty-ann-bernardd

Replies: 163
    Topics: 2

check point contact first.

bullie

I pulled the flywheel and attached my meter neg cable to the ground and pos to both leads. The lead to the points shows continuity but the plug wire side is dead. I checked at the plug wire at the boot and where it emerges from the coil. Did I check it correctly?

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 979
    Topics: 135

richardparquette site download shows Eaton Viking 1948-49 1.5 coil and lamination is PN#375189

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 979
    Topics: 135

bullie- i sent you a email -Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4326
    Topics: 43

Those coils were made before they figured out how to make them last only five years. It probably is ok. Remove the points and take them apart, degrease, then polish each contact shiny bright. Put it back together, set points to .020", and it probably will have spark.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4156
    Topics: 422
    quote Bullie:

I checked at the plug wire at the boot and where it emerges from the coil.

Here you are only checking your plug wire and not the coil. The plug wire from the coil terminal to the spark plug connector should have almost 0 resistance. Just a few ohms. To check the coils secondary windings, connect your meter to the ground wire and the spark plug wire terminal on the coil. Depending on your meter, it will probably need to be set to the 20K range to test the coil and to the 200 range to test the plug wire. The coil reading should be in the low thousands.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.