Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The 580084 coil used in the Evinrude Sportsman and Sportwin can also be used and is available through Doug Penn. . . 🙂

cajuncook1
      Participant
        quote Bullie:

quote cajuncook1:

quote Bullie:

I decided to revisit this little jewel. No spark. I pulled off the tank and the flywheel. I believe the coil is bad. What do I need to look for?

Just looking at the coil does not indicate if the coil is good, unless the covering is cracked and peeling.

Doug Penn did a nice job of explaining how to use a analog meter to test if the primary and and secondary windings of a coil are good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8rk5QWgS0

This test is exactly what I have stated that I did to determine the coil was bad.

Excellent, just making sure 🙂

The Boat House
        Participant

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

that video by Doug Penn was very good. After doing a few tests i should have it memorized. Thick skull= takes a while

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

bullie
            Participant
              quote pugetsoundboater:

that video by Doug Penn was very good. After doing a few tests i should have it memorized. Thick skull= takes a while

Me too. I have checked and rechecked myself. LOL I will have to find a coil for it now. Looks like they pretty dear though.

bullie
              Participant

Ok. I acquired a coil from a club member and I have some free time coming up. Recipe for confusion!

The coil has a couple of inches of plug wire attached. I am wondering what the best method of attaching a new wire would be? Soldering? One of the crimp on butt connectors?

I am very bad at soldering. Mainly because I know nothing about it and in the past I basically tried to use it like a hot melt glue for metal. This doesn’t work well. I seem to wound myself with the iron regularly too.

Steve D
                Participant
                  quote Bullie:

Ok. I acquired a coil from a club member and I have some free time coming up. Recipe for confusion!

I am very bad at soldering. Mainly because I know nothing about it and in the past I basically tried to use it like a hot melt glue for metal. This doesn’t work well. I seem to wound myself with the iron regularly too.

Hahaha! You crack me up Bullie! 😆 I can do some stuff well, but soldering, welding, electric, haven’t been there yet! 😕

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote Steve D:

quote Bullie:

Hahaha! You crack me up Bullie! 😆 I can do some stuff well, but soldering, welding, electric, haven’t been there yet! 😕

I have been quite honest about my electrical learning disability. I guess 40+ years of my father telling me to leave that stuff alone stuck. I am working on it too. In fact, I just watched 3 or 4 videos on YouTube about soldering. Did y’all know that pipe solder and electrical solder ain’t the same? 😯 I am learning lots already.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yeah, I learned about different solders at the ripe old age of about 12 when I built a one-tube radio using acid core solder. The only kind of solder the local hardware store had. The whole radio chassis turn green corrosion in just a few days. By some miracle, the radio worked anyhow.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Gale Products built that for Atlas under the Royal label. Evinrude used the powerhead in its 1948 through 1951 model 4425 Sportsman. That ignition was used on the 3.3 HP model 4423 Sportwin of those years also.

Sportwin Ignition –

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 75 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.