Ugly Duckling

Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

This topic contains 74 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar paulfromyork 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
    bullie
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 429
    Topics: 59

I pulled it apart, mostly… Weird thing is that the pin you mentioned doesn’t pass through the shaft. In fact, there isn’t even a hole in the shaft for it to pass. I don’t know how it would not spin on the shaft.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1671
    Topics: 37

That seems very odd. Something has to join the gear to the shaft for the pinion to be able to spin the prop shaft. I would guess Frank has offered good advice above.

Is there a hole in the gear for the pin to pass thru?

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year

Yes. I should have taken a picture of it. But, yes. There is a pin in the holes on both sides of the gear but no hole in the shaft for the pin to pass through. It looks like some kinda friction fit to the shaft. So, the pin is in two pieces.

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year

I will have to go out and look at it again but it wasn’t obvious to me. Of course, I have been told that I am about as bright as a small appliance light bulb.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years

I’m just wondering if the pin actually passes all the way thru both sides of the gear and the pin. The pin would have to be a press fit in the hole to.prevent it from working out inside the gearcase. If a press fit pin shears off clean in a hole, it is not always immediately apparent where the pin is. Their could be especially true if that gear has been whirling around the shaft for a while. Could it be possible that the surface is just evenly burnished and hiding the remaining segment of the pin that is still stuck in the prop shaft? If there is a hole in thru both sides of the gear I have a tough time thinking they didn’t have the pin pass all the way thru the assembly. See what you can find when you look at it again.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year

I guess that is possible. I do not see where it has broken off if that is case.

I have already done something very dopey this evening and I suspect this might be dopey 2.0. I am sure it is something simple that I just don’t understand well enough to recognize.

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member
    Replies: 2958
    Topics: 29

YES – The pin is a single piece. It is the same material as the shaft so when sheared, it is very hard to spot. Worse, when sheared it may distort the hole making it hard to drive out. Best use a brass shear pin when you get it properly back together. . . 😆

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3939
    Topics: 43
    quote Garry in Tampa:

YES – The pin is a single piece. It is the same material as the shaft so when sheared, it is very hard to spot. Worse, when sheared it may distort the hole making it hard to drive out. Best use a brass shear pin when you get it properly back together. . . 😆

Just so there is no misunderstanding, Garry means the brass shear pin in the prop. The pin in the gear is not supposed to shear, being harder material than the prop pin.

Ignorance is simply a lack of education. Ignorance can be cured. There is no cure for Stupid.

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member

Absolutely brass shear pin in the propeller. If that had been done originally, the drive pin in the gear would have never sheared. . . 🙄

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year

I actually feel a little better about it now. I expected to be proven a little dopey again but having someone with so much knowledge tell me that it is hard to see, well, that makes me feel a bit better. 😳

This little motor has been a trial. It runs so good now though. I hope I can get the spinny part moving. 😀

How should I go about removing the 3 pieces of pin?

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years

Glad to see we are on the right track with this one. I’m assuming the pin pieces in the gear are more clearly visible and no too difficult to drive out. The one in the prop shaft has to be found first. Once it is found, I woulove clamp it firmly in a vise with soft jaws so to not damage the outside of the shaft. Once it is secured, I’d use a center punch as near to the center of the pin as.tough can see and give it a whack. Once it starts to move, go to a pin punch a little smaller than the hole and finish driving it out. Finding the pin may be the hardest part.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member

The clue is that it was drilled at the same time as the cotter pin hole. So that and the polished part where the gear was should get you close to were the pin was. . . 😉

kevinrude
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 299
    Topics: 92

i have a couple Montgomery Ward (Sea King) motors identical to that one. Strong runners. Garry Spencer once called them the best single-cylinder engine OMC ever produced.

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year

Thanks Ben and Garry. After only smacking my finger one time I drove the 3 parts of the pin out. A major success. So, now I need a new pin #550669 and a brass shear pin. Anyone know a source for the pin?

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years

Great news! Glad you got all the pieces out. One thumb-smasher is probably better than I’d have done. 😎

Do you have a micrometer or dial caliper or some way to get an accurate measurement of the pins? Someone may have the real OMC replacement parts, but if.you have a metal supply shop anywhere near you, you should be able to get stainless and brass round stock in the diameters you need and just cut them to length and deburr the ends and put them back in. If you don’t have any place to get the stock, let me know the sizes of the pins and I’ll make you new ones. 😉
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.