Home Forum Ask A Member Ugly Duckling

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Here ya go—coil clearance

screen shot

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Same powerhead as the Evinrude Sportsman – 1948 through 1951. . . 🙂

bullie
        Participant

https://youtu.be/f3GlHebP5Pg

Messed with the duckling a little this afternoon. The gear is spinning freely on the prop shaft. I didn’t see any obvious pin but there’s a good deal of grease. Is the lower unit supposed to be filled with grease or oil?

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark,
            I watched your video. It seems that the pin #550669 in the parts diagram above has sheared. It may take a thorough cleaning to be able to see the pin? I’m not familiar with this particular gearcase either so I’m not sure if there is anything special to look for. I’d say that pin is either sheared or missing though and if it were missing, the hole would be visible.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Pull the gear out of the pump housing and the problem will be obvious.

bullie
              Participant

I pulled it apart, mostly… Weird thing is that the pin you mentioned doesn’t pass through the shaft. In fact, there isn’t even a hole in the shaft for it to pass. I don’t know how it would not spin on the shaft.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That seems very odd. Something has to join the gear to the shaft for the pinion to be able to spin the prop shaft. I would guess Frank has offered good advice above.

Is there a hole in the gear for the pin to pass thru?

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
                  Participant

Yes. I should have taken a picture of it. But, yes. There is a pin in the holes on both sides of the gear but no hole in the shaft for the pin to pass through. It looks like some kinda friction fit to the shaft. So, the pin is in two pieces.

bullie
                    Participant

I will have to go out and look at it again but it wasn’t obvious to me. Of course, I have been told that I am about as bright as a small appliance light bulb.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m just wondering if the pin actually passes all the way thru both sides of the gear and the pin. The pin would have to be a press fit in the hole to.prevent it from working out inside the gearcase. If a press fit pin shears off clean in a hole, it is not always immediately apparent where the pin is. Their could be especially true if that gear has been whirling around the shaft for a while. Could it be possible that the surface is just evenly burnished and hiding the remaining segment of the pin that is still stuck in the prop shaft? If there is a hole in thru both sides of the gear I have a tough time thinking they didn’t have the pin pass all the way thru the assembly. See what you can find when you look at it again.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 75 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.