Home Forum Ask A Member Update on pristine 50$ 9622a 9.5hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well patience does bring joy !

it loosened up after 4-5 weeks of soaking the rings, gentle wacks on the pistons , openning it’s fuel ports and blasting in some engine fogging oĂŻl
      and…. waiting

I can now turn the flywheel with one hand, no screeching pistons are sliding in and out like a swiss Watch !! 😀

I will close it up and regasket the head.

any sealant needed here as I am using a Sierra headgasket ? I had asked for OEM gasket but clerk ordered me a Sierra 🙁

I will change the impeller and try it out before messing with the funny carb. 😕

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mr-asa
      Participant

Just because it’s spinning doesn’t mean she’s ready to start!
        My 12D10 was frozen, I got her moving and moving quietly. On the recommendations of some of the members here I pulled her apart and checked the rings. 4 of the 6 rings total were stuck in some form or another.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I am not to experienced on that level of surgery so I can only run some engine cleaners or seafoam like mixes for now and hope for the best .
          I’ll check points / iginition etc… the usual easy things

mr-asa
          Participant

If you can remove any of the ports so that you can see into the cylinder, you can check the rings with a little screwdriver. You can push them, if they move they’re free and you’re (probably) good.

It’s not that hard to take them apart and get them back together after. You just need to keep track of the parts. There’s enough information here to help you out if you get stuck

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I will consider it but this engine is "like new" and I just don’t want start inspecting exhaust ports behind the exhaust baffle or pulling the carb and reeds

I’ll chance it for now with a good dose of engine tuners

thanks for comments …btw should I dab the headgasket with sealant ?

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

..that is what I needed to hear 🙂

when I fire it up I’ll feedback.

Darn it …. that was my winter 2016 project …. now I ‘ll need to find another engine to fic next winter

seakaye12
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Did you ever post a picture of this pristine motor? I looked back over your posts and don’t see one.

david-bartlett
                    Participant
                      quote Mr. Asa:

If you can remove any of the ports so that you can see into the cylinder, you can check the rings with a little screwdriver. You can push them, if they move they’re free and you’re (probably) good.

It’s not that hard to take them apart and get them back together after. You just need to keep track of the parts. There’s enough information here to help you out if you get stuck

The 9.5HP motors like this don’t have the traditional port/exhaust covers, so not easy to look inside.

I woud do a quick compression check, and give it a go! Run it a bit and check compression again.

1946zephyr
                      Participant

No, there is no sealer used on the head gasket.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.