Home Forum Ask A Member US Navy Pressure Tank?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

A friend just gave me a bunch of parts and motors but what caught my eye is this pressure tank with a Gale label on it. It says on it to use US Navy spec oil so I’m wondering if this tank wasn’t built for the US Navy? I think these tanks are the ones that can be stacked on top of each other and I also heard there was a special cushion which could be placed on top so it could also be used as a seat. Thoughts?

DSC00032-1

DSC00033-1

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Very interesting, I’ve never seen one like that. I guess I have to agree, probably made for the Navy.

dsaulsbury
        Participant

Johnson built a pump after 1950 for the Navy with an aluminum frame with a spot for the tank on top of the frame. It used the 25 hp Johnson powerhead of the era. See the carb knobs, they appear to be the same as the 1953 Johnson 25 hp outboard. My guess that this tank is for this type pump. I had to dig in the backups of my files from 2000 to find this picture.

Don

Navy-Pump

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by dsaulsbury.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
          dan-in-tn
          Participant

I have one of those pumps. Picked up at Tomahawk 2017. I had a tank bought from a musician in Vegas that was suppose to bring it to Nashville, but the deal fell thru! You don’t see many. I did not realize it was for the pump until now. Thanks Don, but knew I had not seen many. Still looking for a tank like this, especially now to go with my pump.
            These pumps were supposedly one of the first engineering projects our very own Ralph Lambrecht worked on as a young engineer at OMC. I worked for Ralph in OMC Service at OMC so it was special for me to own this pump. I believe it is #2 built.

Dan in TN

1russellislander
            Participant

Thanks for the picture!

amuller
              Participant

Hard to be sure from the pic, but it looks like a normal tank with a short hose and those extended guards on top. And there is a clip on the side that *might* latch on to the angle iron platform on top of the pump. Is there another clip on the other side?

Mumbles
                Participant

Actually, the clip is more of a hook shape. Probably so it could be secured and there is another one on the opposite side.

Once the other tank has finished cooking to remove the rust inside it, I’ll open this one up and give it the same treatment. Unfortunately, this one has a lot of rust buildup inside it.

DSC00137

DSC00139

DSC00141

amuller
                  Participant

Yes, I see that. Looking at the pic of the pump in it’s cage, it looks like there is a spring-loaded latch present–something like an old-fashioned hood hold-down.

You’re using electrolysis to de-rust the tank? How is that working out?f I have several rusty tanks and it might be worth a try.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.