Home Forum Ask A Member Vactiuri ao500 Help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    smokeonthewater
    Participant

Gentlemen,
      Late last summer I acquired a nice example of a 1929 Johnson s45. Immediately, I replaced the plugs, wires and condenser And checked the Rotary valve timing and got the unit to run without touching the carb. It soon loaded up and presumably flooded as I noticed a pool of fuel In the upward turning air horn. At this point I put it away for the Wisconsin winter.
      Last week I got through cleaning the carb, and reassembled.
      My question is, when i tug on the rope a Small wave of fuel pools in the air horn, but When I pull the plugs, they are Bone dry, with zero gasoline smell. Of course, I can’t even get the thing to pop. I’m not sure how the engine Compression can draw fuel Into the carb, but not into the engine.
      I’m out of ideas at this moment.
      I appreciate any help.. thanks!

dockbuster1
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I have had the luck to get my vacturi carbs working well gas savings on my V 45 easy 30% The carbs were individually calibrated do not interchange springs . I would make a new diaphragm I have some replacement material I would be glad to send you The pine tree boating club utube videos have a video on vacturi cabs you might find helpful the hardest part to fix is the inlet needle make shure it is working also note the placement of the screw cup which holds the diaphragm spring before disassembling .You can get my email address in the club listing if you haven’t joined do so we need more interested members Lincoln Davis

smokeonthewater
        Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply
          Although I’m not sure we are talking about the same carburetor . At least from what I can tell from the YouTube videos, ect.
          My carburetor has a float bowl rather than a diaphragm
          Here is a picture.

dockbuster1
          Participant

Lifetime Member

You are right my experience is just diaphragm Float bowl vacturi carbs I know nothing about

smokeonthewater
            Participant

Thank you! Now I know there are other types!

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Vacturi 500 was designed for the Johnson race motors. Its a little newer than the Vacturi Lincoln described in his excellent video. Here is what the Johnson service manual has to say about the Vacturi 500.

Vacturi-500

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

phil
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can someone post which of the MANY excellent Pine Tree Boating Club videos features the Vacturi?

http://www.omc-boats.org
                  http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQC9mv5EtCM&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXiGjzcJO4&t=820s

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by davidk.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by davidk.
                    smokeonthewater
                    Participant

Thanks for the carb settings, Wayne!
                      It seems I am getting somewhere now.
                      The motor now starts quickly on choke, and runs, but seems to bog after I open the choke and then throttle. At least I’m not seeing a tidal wave of fuel Anymore when it shuts off.
                      It almost acts as if it is / was starving and flooding at the same time as a result of using the choke. It seems the choke can really draw some fuel!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.