Home Forum Ask A Member Very early Champion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bjensen64
    Participant

Trying to document this motor that has been in my family since the late 70s. Looks to be a serial number stamped near the tiller "A 1898". I haven’t been able to find much on the interweb but I do think it may be from 1935 due to the "A" denoting a model A but I did see where a few motors were made under the champion name from 1927 -1934.

Thoughts?

The Boat House
      Participant

Checking a list I have I believe
        the "A" would indicate it is a
        1935 Standard Single 3.2 hp.
        Nice example!!!!

skeg
        Participant

What you have is a first year Champion made by Scott-Atwater Manufacturing in Minneapolis, MN. for Earl Dumonte and his partners who marketed Champion. Year of manufacture would be 1935. The serial number should be stamped on the transom mount between the clamp levers. There are also two bolts that hold on the tiller arm and if removed you should also find the serial number there as well. Good example that appears complete! Earlier Champions (pre 1935) are different and were made by Sigmund Conrad of St.Paul MN. I would classify yours as somewhat rare, especially with all of the parts in tact.
          Hope this helps.

Kevin
          aka Skeg

ed-sam
          Participant

I have the same model, A2000. The later models had a cast muffler as apposed to the tin can version. Mine runs but is also a good display model.
            Ed

bjensen64
            Participant

Awesome, and thanks for the info. I will be giving it a good once over and trying to start this motor sometime this winter.

What would the oil mixture be for this particular motor?

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The Champion model A was built in 1935. It has a bore of 2-1/8" and stroke of 1-3/4" for a piston displacement of 6.23 cubic inches. It develops 3.2 horse power af 3,600 RPM. It has a two bladed propeller with a diameter of 7-½" and pitch of 6-½". The gear case uses grease. The powerhead is lubricated by adding a half pint of non-detergent SAE 30 wt. oil to each gallon of regular unleaded gasoline. It is water cooled. The breaker points are set at .015", the Champion J1-15 sparkplug is gapped at .025" (Replaced by D-16 or 516) The model A weighs 31 pounds and sold for $49.95 in 1935. . . 😀

bjensen64
                Participant

Whoa! Garry with the home run!!

Greatly appreciate all of the detailed info provided on this post, this stuff is going in the spreadsheet for sure.

Matthew Lewis
                  Participant

That’s impressive.  Do you mind if I ask where you found that information?

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Garry has been off the forum for some time now, but here’s a Champion outboard spec sheet I found when I was restoring my 1937 Champion D2C.   Also included a pic of my motor.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.