Home Forum Ask A Member Vintage Canoe Brackets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a bracket that I think came from the Johnson Motor Co in the 1920’s. I’ve been looking for a canoe to use it on and I think I’ve found a 1930 Old Town to try. I have a Johnson Accessories brochure that I think is from 1939 that shows a canoe bracket. I’d like to see more examples from the early days.

I was inspired to go on this quest after seeing Bill Andrulitis’ awesome setup on his Old Town. Maybe he’ll chime in here and identify the maker of his bracket?

Version-2

IMG_0138

IMG_8499

IMG_6005

sydinnj
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very nice piece to get. That is something that I thought would be fun to come across. I have a couple of old town canoes and also a couple of Johnson A’s that I always thought would be fun to put together and give it a try.

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have one like yours.They are the early version that only fit the “A” models.You had to remove the motors transom bracket to use it.It looks like a P.O. added spacers to get more clearance between motor and canoe.

davidk
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Stanley, do you have any photos of yours set up? I have an A-45 that I hope will work on this bracket. The later development, where you could clamp the motor on like you would clamp it to a transom, was a smart improvement.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My canoe bracket is sitting on the shelf waiting for a canoe.My hope is that I can rig an old fiberglass canoe I have to use it on this summer.You would have to fabricate something along the lines of the drawing to use it with an A45.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s another older canoe bracket, with a possible fatal flaw. I’d love to see a complete example if anyone has one. The decal is from the Skowhegan Boat and Canoe Company.

IMG_8770

IMG_5584

page-13

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by davidk.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by davidk.
                chris-p
                Participant

See if you can find a canoe model such as the AC35.

I have an AC35, but with the standard transom bracket unfortunately.

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See if you can find a canoe model such as the AC35.

I have an AC35, but with the standard transom bracket unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn’t aware of the AC models. Was the canoe bracket sold as part of the motor (in place of the transom bracket)? Searching the web, I don’t see any images.

chris-p
                    Participant

Sorry I cannot seem to find an AC model picture in my computer. One day I should organize them!

Im sure one of the members has a pic of an AC he can post.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes – the bracket was part of the motor, taking the place of the standard clamp bracket.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.