Vintage Engines throw away???

Home Forum Ask A Member Vintage Engines throw away???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• germanmotor

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

My father passed away, now I found two vintage Outboard Motors:

Johnson MS38 1 HP
    Evinrude Elto CUP 0.5 HP

both were running 1988 in a test chamber (sweet water) and were stored again. Not running since.

Are people (collectors) interested in? Or are these models so common, that its not a shame to throw them on junkyard?
    Pictures availiable.

terriblecj

Replies: 78
    Topics: 16

Please dont scrap them! May not be a gold-mine but still plenty of interest from guys like us. Where are you located?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Elto Cub?? If you want to get rid of it, just drive by my house about midnight and toss it out in my front yard. Seriously, there are people wanting it.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I have found many old outboards that are worth so little, it’s easier to throw them away. However, yours are NOT throw-away ones, especially the Cub.If your interest is to get rid of them but to maximize your gain, I’d put them on an eBay AUCTION. You’d have to be willing to CAREFULLY pack and ship them, but the Cub will give you a decent return, if it is in any kind of good condition. The MS38, maybe not as much; but it would still be worth it.

Long live American manufacturing!

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17

location , location , location ???

germanmotor ?
    are you from Germany ?

germanmotor

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Yes, location is Cologne in Germany. So shipment needs a few days but is possible.

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8

If you have no use for them, my suggestion is to part them out (break them up, as the English say) and sell parts to your countrymen, in Germany – maybe with eBay.

But don’t put them in the dump,. they traveled so far to Germany from the US, it would be a shame for them to go into the garbage! If nothing else, take them apart and save the carburetor, electrical parts, propeller, gears, etc. Someone will thank you, some time soon..

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If the motors are complete, please, do NOT break them up for their parts! A motor should only become a donor if it is damaged beyond repair or impossible to get running again. Yes, the old saying ‘Some must die so that others may live’ also applies to antique and vintage outboard motors. Since the motors were running when stored, they should run again with a bit of maintenance. These motors are about 75 years old and complete specimens in running condition become harder to find as time goes on. Destroying one of these pre-war motors is also destroying a bit of history.

For those not familiar with the AOMCI club or it’s logo, it is all about the restoration and preservation of vintage and antique outboard motors, not the opposite.

Thanks to Garry for this pic.

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17

Hi Germanmotor

aus Köln ?

Ich bin von die Niederlande und komme vorbei im Urlaub.
    frage ein Preis ?
    Hast du ein Handy nummer für mir ?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Careful kees, I could almost decipher that.
    But as to the Cub, I recently saw an incomplete one sell for over $100. Do NOT part it out unless it is beyond repair.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.