Home Forum Ask A Member West Bend help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hello Gents,
      Getting ready to restore my Fathers West Bend Golden Shark 40hp. I’m gathering manuals from Ebay and parts where I can find them and want to start this project this winter. I’m not very familiar with the "big twin" type motors as up until now most of my restorations have been 18hp and below. This one is odd too due to the positive ground configuration. 3 parts of this motor are new to me and I’m hoping someone can explain in layman’s terms to me what they are and what their relationship to each other is.
      Stator
      Rectifier
      Rectifier reactor
      I believe they are the charging system for the battery? Or power the coils? Just trying to figure out what these components do.

Thank you all,
      Wisco

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Not familiar with that particular system, but typically a Stator is a series of coils under the flywheel for charging the battery. Magnets in the flywheel pass by the coils, generating an AC voltage sent to the rectifier. The rectifier changes the AC to DC so it can be used for battery charging. Rectifier reactor?? I don’t know.

Some cautions: Connecting the battery backwards will instantly destroy the rectifier. Maybe the reactor also, whatever that is. You cannot disconnect it fast enough to prevent destruction. Also, running it without a battery, or with poor battery connections will also destroy the rectifier.

Does it have a selenium rectifier (looks like a stack of graham crackers)? If so, it possibly can be replaced with a modern silicone bridge rectifier. Back to that unknown part.

Where did you get the information? Do you have a wiring diagram? Could you post the diagram for the sake of educating all of us? And prevent losing valuable history.

EDIT: If it has battery ignition, then the mentioned parts do indirectly power the coils as you suggested (by keeping the battery charged so it can supply juice to the coils).

AH, I found a diagram showing the regulator reactor. It is used with the Super Alternator. But I still don’t know how it works. Also, I see it is a 3-phase alternator.

wiscoboater
        Participant

Thank you Frank for your response. I will try to load some pics of the wiring diagram from the manual and a few pics of the actual parts themselves. If I can get my photo bucket account to work with the site. The rectifier is as you described, about 4 4" X4" squares stacked together. Wonder if their is a way to test these parts.

frankr
          Participant

The rectifier can be tested with an ohmmeter or continuity light, once the terminals are identified. But I suppose, since we are flying blind here, the best way is simply start it up and see if it works. Then look for the problem if it doesn’t. It won’t damage anything if it doesn’t work, just won’t recharge the battery.

jon-a
            Participant

i have a bunch of west bend golden sharks too- have never gotten to them yet, but will in due time. i remember reading about "positive ground" so that literally means that you connect the positive cable from the motor to the negative post on the battery??

frankr
              Participant

Forget about positive and negative cables. Think of it this way: "Normal" negative ground motors have the motor frame connected to the negative battery post—the motor itself is grounded to negative. "Positive" ground means the motor frame is connected to the positive battery post—-the motor itself is grounded to positive. Many old cars were also positive ground, so it is not such a weird concept as we might think. It truly makes no difference to most components on the motor—until you get into current flow through stuff like the charging system. Even then, it can be set up to operate either way. But once it is set up, you have to comply, or rewire.

I can forsee troubles along the line when it comes to other components in the boat. It could create an electrolysis nightmare or even a downright short-circuit. Especially in a metal boat.

wiscoboater
                Participant

Jon_A,
                  I am missing one of the sharks from my cowl. Do you have a spare you would sell?

wiscoboater
                  Participant

Great point Frank! Perhaps that’s why I have only seen Golden Sharks on fiberglass or wood boats?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.