Home Forum Ask A Member What are these?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Hello to all;
      "Sea Flyer"?? Hmmm.
      Maker? Model? Approximate years?
      Any info on either of these will be appreciated.
      Appreciated;
      Alan

Attachments:

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

The Sea Flyer is a barely-disguised Champion. The other one looks an awful lot like an old Firestone (Scott) single. think I have that one lying around here somewhere..

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I have a note that "Sea Flyer" was sold by the "B. F. Goodrich" tire company.

Prepare to be boarded!

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The one on the right is definitely a Scott built motor.

The Sea Flyer is a Champion-built twin cylinder 5.5hp motor sold by BF Goodrich. I have one of these motors I’m still trying to work the bugs out of. There are not a whole lot of them around. I can’t see the shift lever on this one but it appears to have the gearshift lower. The one I have has full gearshift. It seems to.be a pretty nice little motor, light weight and pretty smooth running. Mine still runs hot even after repairing the water pump, but I’ll get it figured out eventually. At any rate, decent little motor. This one also looks to be missing the recoil starter on top.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mike-Sea
            Participant

US Member

Champion issued a service bulletin No. 56-104 for the overheating problem, that really corrects the problem. If you can not find the service bulletin send me a PM and I will get back to you.
              Mike

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mike,
                PM Sent
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mike-Sea
                Participant

US Member

Fisherman6 send me your email address and I will send you the info. Anyone else that wants the Bullentin send me a PM and I will get back to you.
                  Mike

Alan
                  Participant

Many thanks for the info!
                    So, on the right, (blue). It has an integral metal gas tank, which has been rattle-can painted, and has a big ol’ dent, right?
                    Not that it matters; if these are still available when I can get to them, I’ll grab ’em, as long as they’re not salted or frozen.
                    Appreciated;
                    Alan

ed-sam
                    Participant

There are quite a few of these projects here in the Mn Wi area. At one time Champion was the 3rd largest manufacture of outboards. When boat liveries were around they were popular. They still show up at estate and farm sales. Ed

retiredoz
                      Participant

US Member

That tank on the Firestone is steel, rare to find one without some rust. But it was used on a bunch of early Firestone and Scott singles..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.