Home Forum Ask A Member What is it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

I bought this motor from the same person that sold me my 5 Sea king and it looks to have the same lower unit. Thinking I might take parts out of it but would like to know what it is. There are no decals or tags on it that I can find. Any ideas?

bobw
      Participant

US Member

That’s a Johnson TN26, 1950-51 5hp. If I’m reading the serial number correctly, it’s a 1950 model.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by bobw.
        jimk
        Participant

Thanks for that. I haven’t taken anything apart yet to see if all in the lower unit is the same as my 1951 SeaKing but it looks promising.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by jimk.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

It is the same lower unit except for a few certain parts that are unique to the Gale. Drive shaft for one. And because the shaft is a different diameter, the impeller is different. Clutch cables are same except Johnson is longer because it has to reach the shifter on the tank.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t see my answer to his question . . . ?

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Garry, by any chance did you post at the same time I did? I have had it happen that if I post at the same time as another, one of us won’t “take”. Really a pain to have to type it all over again. Of course it can be highlighted and copied before posting, but who ever thinks of that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.