Home Forum Ask A Member What is…THIS?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Found this extra plate on a 9.5 I worked on recently. Problem is that when you throttle up, it would hit the manual starter/rewind. I had to pull the mag plate, remove it, and everything worked as normal. Have never seen this on any other 9.5 motor before!

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

may be a neutral limiter. I am not a omc guy I know mercs

johnyrude200
        Participant

I was surmising that as well, would only allow for about 3/5th throttle (not even close to the top end for a 9.5 – high idle at best), but I humbly wanted to ask the experts.

I will give a shout to Mumbles, Gary, t2stroke, Fleetwin, and FrankR for a P/N reference!

Also what application was this used for? Fathers holding their children in check back in the day?

Thanks again for your willingness to share your wealth of 1st hand experiences!

wedgie
          Participant

So you can’t rev it up too far in neutral

johnyrude200
            Participant

In forward, the limiter held it at 3200RPM. Sold this motor 3 weeks ago but felt it was noteworthy to the godfathers. Worked on 14-16 of the 9.5’s over the past 8 months, more interested in preservation of the motors –
              and knowledge

frankr
              Participant

Offhand, I don’t remember seeing one like that. Wedgie, what model are you thinking of?

david-bartlett
                Participant

Marine Engine shows it as a lockout plate. #42.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinr … /40022.gif

frankr
                  Participant

Looks like it was only used a couple of years, 1970-71. Is the intended function to prevent the starter pinion from rising (starting) at high throttle settings? Strange that it should be interfering with WOT.
                    Somebody once told me that education is what you have left after you have forgotten everything you learned.

beerman57
                    Participant

Throttle restricter for children?

mike-stroz
                      Participant

I had something similar on a Scott Atwater that I had. It would restrict the speed when the motor was in neutral or reverse.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.