What is…THIS?

Home Forum Ask A Member What is…THIS?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)

• johnyrude200

Replies: 782
    Topics: 186

It wouldn’t allow the throttle to advance all the way up, maybe 2/3rd to 3/4th’s. It runs into the manual recoil when in forward/reverse gear. I spend a couple of minutes to see if anything else was wrong on the motor which would account for the collision of these two pieces, but everything else checked out.

Just got around to posting the pic because I figured someone might have seen one of these before.

wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78
    quote FrankR:

Offhand, I don’t remember seeing one like that. Wedgie, what model are you thinking of?

No model in particular Frank. It was just a guess, but it looks similar to the mag stop on the big twin that prevents starting in gear with the throttle advanced.

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8

Johnny,

So you’re saying that irrespective of gearshift position (F / R or N) this plate prevented going WOT under any conditions due to interference? If so, then obviously something is really wrong with that.. it’s just not right.

Is it possible that the motor has been repaired (or built-up) with parts from slightly different iterations, by someone who wasn’t paying close attention to minor differences – like the function or presence of a neutral or starter lockout?

Here’s something to look at – the parts which move in concert with the throttle control, like the carb butterfly, ignition stator plate and linkages will have wear patterns that describe their range(s) of motion. Do the wear patterns on this motor indicate that it’s never, or almost never been run in the WOT position – as if it was always this way, from the factory?

An examination of those wear marks may provide insight into just how long it’s been like this..

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Looks like the wrong mag plate. A lot of mag plates have the same casting number, with a different letter designation. -A, -B, etc… depending on minor differences that were added after casting. Possibly the original mag plate wore, and was replaced by this one. I assume that the stop can be removed by 2 screws? If so take it off and you should be good to go.

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8
    quote Chris_P:

Looks like the wrong mag plate. (…) Possibly the original mag plate wore, and was replaced by this one.

There you go.. something that makes sense.

johnyrude200

Replies: 782
    Topics: 186

Yeah, I already removed the extra piece and the motor worked fine from there (mentioned in an earlier post). It was sold a couple of weeks back, customer even followed up with a thank you note after his first time out with it (always nice to receive those).

I just figured it was an interesting piece since I hadn’t seen one like that before, that it might be a nice conversation piece for the forums. Obviously with motors that are 5, 10, 20, 40 years old, who knows what the history is. Most of the time, I’m spending repairing someone else’s hack-job/cob-job, or just plain bad job.

I guess the whole "you can’t find parts anywhere for these things" standard line from most marinas is enough to encourage people on a tight budget to do weird things to keep the motors running a little longer. I mean, business is business, it’s just too bad there is no support for most motors over 5 years old anymore, given their relative simplicity and overall ability to just run, and run, and run when cared for.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.