Home Forum Ask A Member What’s the best "seal" for gas cap vent?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

OK I want help with the last part of my 1954 12hp Gale gas cap rebuild. The thread was seized (on the vent screw) and I broke it off clean trying to persuade it with pliers! Then I tried drilling a small hole in the screw, which went off course. I thought it was ruined. I finally put it on the lathe, (how can anyone live without machine tools?) and started over with a center drill (right on center) and drilled/BORED the aluminum out with an end mill! BUT, after some work with a 1/4"-20 tap, the hole is (looks) pristine!
      So now the replacement screw is knurled and threaded and the groove is done for the new E-ring. I have rubberized cork available, but I want my hind sight in advance.

What’s the best replacement for that little washer under the vent screw on an antique OBM gas cap? And what is the best glue? I thought rubberized cork and either rubber cement or crazy glue. How would that work?
      P.S. I plan on making punch/cutters for the cork.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have used an o-ring. Don’t know if that is "best", but it worked for me. Glue wasn’t necessary.

Anonymous

Hard red fiber washer and no glue.

The Boat House
          Participant

I get scraps of leather from eBay
            to make vent washers, gas cap
            washers, carburetor packing
            washers and the like. They offer
            a verity of thicknesses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.