Home Forum Ask A Member What size battery for electric start Fastwin?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    phil-b
    Participant

What size ("group") battery do you use (or suggest) for an electric start Fastwin.

I’m working on wiring one up, and need to figure out what kind of battery to get, and what kind of terminals.

Thanks!
      Phil
      Yankee Chapter

frankr
      Participant

US Member

What kind of ends do you have on your cables? "Group" refers to physical size. The commonest red battery boxes are sized to fit a Group 24 battery. But there are also ones to fit a Group 27. I’ll catch heck for saying this, but I go to Wally mart and pick out the smallest (lightest) one on the shelf–to heck with the "Group". The down side of doing that is you may have to charge it more often. Even then, it won’t be too often with a Fastwin. They start so easy, it doesn’t take much out of the battery. Besides, you will be surprised at how many amp hours they can pack into some of those small batteries. Compare amp hours to gallons. More amp hours, more "juice".

EDIT: The question pertained to a Fastwin. I’d be a bit more selective if we were talking about something like a V-4 or 6 with electronic goodies.

phil-b
        Participant

No ends, or cables, yet…. The engine came without the boat side of the harness!!

frankr
          Participant

US Member

It’s nice if the battery has wing nuts, but no big whoop if it doesn’t. They do make adapters. But then you have to factor in the adapters with the cost of the battery.

phil-b
            Participant

So a "U1" lawn tractor battery might do the trick?

hugh
              Participant

I have used a garden tractor battery on my "59 fastwin. Any of the smaller ones for me, light and easy to put in and out.

westwind
                Participant

Canada Member

I’ve used a garden tractor battery as well. Doesn’t seem to be hard to start and worst case, the rope still works too. If you’re not keen on rope starting it might be wise to get a little bigger, just in case.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Easy to carry? Two small 6 volt batteries wired in series …

. . . . . 😀

adam1961
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Be careful with the lawn tractor batteries. The really cheap ones are just over a hundred amp and like to burn up starters. Use at least a 250CCA battery. I had a $40 battery burn up a brand new Kohler starter….bad day.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

No doubt the more powerful mower battery will work, but just a little larger you can get a car battery with a whole lot more oomph. I currently have one in my boat. Not really feeling inspired to go out with a flashlight tonight to see what it is.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.