Home Forum Ask A Member What to use in ultrasonic parts cleaner

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike-Sea
    Participant

US Member

Does any one have a good homemade solution that will clean parts in an ultrasonic cleaner
      Thanks
      mike_seachrist@yahoo.com

rjoynt
      Participant

US Member

Hey Mike. I use the Jim Poole method; 90% water and 10% Simple Green. You can reuse it, I always strain it using a paint filter when I’m done. Then store it in a container so that it doesn’t evaporate. When you need to add more to the solution, I just add more Simple Green.
        Hope to see you on the water soon.
        Bob

Mike-Sea
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Bob, I knew there was a solution that used Simple Green but could not remember what it was. Jim had some real good ideas that worked.
          Mike

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

Mike, when I got my Crest ultrasonic cleaner a few years ago I did a ton of research at different forums. One cleaner that popped up many times was Extreme Simple Green Aviation (part # D6-17487) .
            Don’t know how it compares with regular Simple Green, but I’m extremely happy with the results. I use about 15-20% cleaner / balance water. I have included a before and after shot of a 15HP Evinrude piston.
            Good luck,
            Bob D

IMG_2372

bob-d
            Participant

US Member

Having a problem adding a picture.

Pistons

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Bob, how long did it take in the cleaner to get that piston that clean? Looks great!

Prepare to be boarded!

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Buc, about 15 minutes. I also think my Ultrasonic cleaner had a lot to do with it. After doing a a lot of research I bought a used Crest. These are used by a lot of medical facilities, and have a good reliability rating, and can get repaired right in New Jersey. The lower price ones all seem to have a problem with the transducers / heaters failing. Mine was about $700 new, luckily I was able to pick one up on Ebay used for $300.
                  Bob D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.