What was your first outboard?

Home Forum Ask A Member What was your first outboard?

This topic contains 87 replies, has 65 voices, and was last updated by Avatar outbdnut2 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Steve A W
    Steve A W
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 651
    Topics: 42
    quote FrankR:

quote AusOB_Collector:

My first one was a 1968 5hp Johnson (Australian edition). Bought it in 2012 for $50 AUD when I was 12. A replacement fuel pump, new ignition (coils, condensers, points etc) and impeller later she ran even if only briefly. Then a good replacement powerhead and she is one of my most reliable motors.

Cheers
    BP

Wait a minute, you were 12 in 2012? That makes you 16 now. Is that really true?

I would of never guessed that

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

ausob-collector
    International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 124
    Topics: 55

Frank and Steve,

Yes I am 16. 😀
    An almost photographic memory does help with the recollection of things about many different motors.
    I believe my outboarding hobby has been covered so far in the junior section.

Cheers
    BP

reivertom
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 588
    Topics: 30
    quote AusOB_Collector:

Frank and Steve,

Yes I am 16. 😀
    An almost photographic memory does help with the recollection of things about many different motors.
    I believe my outboarding hobby has been covered so far in the junior section.

Cheers
    BP

Man you make me feel old….I have socks older than you…….really, I do!!. :^)

1946zephyr

Replies: 641
    Topics: 10

It’s how I made my user name here……. 1946 Zephyr. Model number 4404 sn. 00066

eltoquad
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 125
    Topics: 35

A Caille Liberty single. Never owned an outboard until I started to collect them.

bill-loveland

Replies: 526
    Topics: 88

Ran one of these with my mom when I was very small:

First motor I ran alone:

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 971
    Topics: 135

Mine was a 1969 Merc 20. On a 10′ GW Invader,bought in 1980. Still got both. I like the looks of the Merc’s back then. I got pretty good at jumping yacht wakes. Fun boat.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 429
    Topics: 59

The first motor I called "mine" was a Chrysler 8 hp. I am guessing a 60 something. That old motor actually saved my life when I was I was 12 or so. It wasn’t very fast but I know from experience that it will outpace a sasquatch. I wrote down all the details of that little adventure if anyone is interested.

PugetSoundBoater
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 971
    Topics: 135
    quote Bullie:

The first motor I called “mine” was a Chrysler 8 hp. I am guessing a 60 something. That old motor actually saved my life when I was I was 12 or so. It wasn’t very fast but I know from experience that it will outpace a sasquatch. I wrote down all the details of that little adventure if anyone is interested.

Sounds like you got a good story,a sasquatch chasing you?I for one would like to hear it.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

Anonymous

Replies: 251
    Topics: 33

First motor was a ’52 Evinrude Fleetwin that my grandfather and father used for duck hunting. I remember about 45 years ago, dad was trying to start it in a 55 gallon drum in the basement. Determine the coils were shot but was told that they were NLA. He buttoned it up and stuck it into a closet where it sat until ’80 when I took it after his passing. So, 36 years later I have yet to restore it but it’s next on my list. I can’t remember how many years ago I found this forum, maybe 20 or so??? Asked about a replacement cover for access to the gas cap and someone was nice enough to give me a replacement. Wish I knew who that was but just a example of the great guys here.
    Kirk

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 429
    Topics: 59
    quote pugetsoundboater:

quote Bullie:

The first motor I called “mine” was a Chrysler 8 hp. I am guessing a 60 something. That old motor actually saved my life when I was I was 12 or so. It wasn’t very fast but I know from experience that it will outpace a sasquatch. I wrote down all the details of that little adventure if anyone is interested.

Sounds like you got a good story,a sasquatch chasing you?I for one would like to hear it.

I’ll start a new topic so not to clutter this one too much.

kerry
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 314
    Topics: 14

When my father passed, I "inherited" the family rowboat and 1961 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman. Technically my first. My first after finding the AOMCI and deciding to start the addiction was a 1948 Sportwin 3.3. Still have it… and 37 miscellaneous others.

joesnuffy

Replies: 285
    Topics: 20

In the summer of 1987 I was in college after completing a tour as a mechanic in the Army in Germany. I had recently gotten married and the wife and I would go up to the lake and just set in our VW bug and look at the boats in the marina. I told her one day we will have a boat. About 1988 I found a 500 dollar ski boat it had a 1961 75hp Evinrude on it that turns out had a lot of issues. I went to the dealer for parts and that’s when I found out that outboard motor parts were not cheap by any means. The guy at the dealer must have felt bad for me and gave me a phone number for an old timer he said had lots of older parts. Turns out he did and that is how I started learning and fixing boat motors. He took me under his wing teaching me all kinds of things about my boat motor. He sold me a 1961 power head for my motor that couldn’t have had 10 hours on it if that much. He helped me build a set of gears which included grinding the dog, seals etc for the lower unit. W’hen we got done that boat would stand straight up in the water when I gave it the throttle my buddies that had new boats wanted to ski behind mine. The old guy had tons of parts all in coffee cans and new exactly where to go to get what we would go through them and pick the best one for my engine. We even made a starter pawl out of stainless he said that would last forever not like the plastic one that was on there. It did it was on the motor when I sold it. Wish I had never sold the motor now but I have gone on to own some truly great boats now. I owe that guy a lot.

Joe

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 963
    Topics: 94
    quote joesnuffy:

In the summer of 1987 I was in college after completing a tour as a mechanic in the Army in Germany. I had recently gotten married and the wife and I would go up to the lake and just set in our VW bug and look at the boats in the marina. I told her one day we will have a boat. About 1988 I found a 500 dollar ski boat it had a 1961 75hp Evinrude on it that turns out had a lot of issues. I went to the dealer for parts and that’s when I found out that outboard motor parts were not cheap by any means. The guy at the dealer must have felt bad for me and gave me a phone number for an old timer he said had lots of older parts. Turns out he did and that is how I started learning and fixing boat motors. He took me under his wing teaching me all kinds of things about my boat motor. He sold me a 1961 power head for my motor that couldn’t have had 10 hours on it if that much. He helped me build a set of gears which included grinding the dog, seals etc for the lower unit. W’hen we got done that boat would stand straight up in the water when I gave it the throttle my buddies that had new boats wanted to ski behind mine. The old guy had tons of parts all in coffee cans and new exactly where to go to get what we would go through them and pick the best one for my engine. We even made a starter pawl out of stainless he said that would last forever not like the plastic one that was on there. It did it was on the motor when I sold it. Wish I had never sold the motor now but I have gone on to own some truly great boats now. I owe that guy a lot.

Joe

I’d like to hear how you went about grinding the dog ?

fleetwin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2516
    Topics: 29

57 Fleetwin

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.