Home Forum Ask A Member What was your first outboard?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Steve A W
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote FrankR:

quote AusOB_Collector:

My first one was a 1968 5hp Johnson (Australian edition). Bought it in 2012 for $50 AUD when I was 12. A replacement fuel pump, new ignition (coils, condensers, points etc) and impeller later she ran even if only briefly. Then a good replacement powerhead and she is one of my most reliable motors.

Cheers
      BP

Wait a minute, you were 12 in 2012? That makes you 16 now. Is that really true?

I would of never guessed that

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
      I live in Northwest Indiana

ausob-collector
      Participant

Frank and Steve,

Yes I am 16. 😀
        An almost photographic memory does help with the recollection of things about many different motors.
        I believe my outboarding hobby has been covered so far in the junior section.

Cheers
        BP

reivertom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
          quote AusOB_Collector:

Frank and Steve,

Yes I am 16. 😀
          An almost photographic memory does help with the recollection of things about many different motors.
          I believe my outboarding hobby has been covered so far in the junior section.

Cheers
          BP

Man you make me feel old….I have socks older than you…….really, I do!!. :^)

1946zephyr
          Participant

It’s how I made my user name here……. 1946 Zephyr. Model number 4404 sn. 00066

eltoquad
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

A Caille Liberty single. Never owned an outboard until I started to collect them.

bill-loveland
              Participant

Ran one of these with my mom when I was very small:

First motor I ran alone:

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

Mine was a 1969 Merc 20. On a 10′ GW Invader,bought in 1980. Still got both. I like the looks of the Merc’s back then. I got pretty good at jumping yacht wakes. Fun boat.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

bullie
                  Participant

The first motor I called "mine" was a Chrysler 8 hp. I am guessing a 60 something. That old motor actually saved my life when I was I was 12 or so. It wasn’t very fast but I know from experience that it will outpace a sasquatch. I wrote down all the details of that little adventure if anyone is interested.

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant
                      quote Bullie:

The first motor I called “mine” was a Chrysler 8 hp. I am guessing a 60 something. That old motor actually saved my life when I was I was 12 or so. It wasn’t very fast but I know from experience that it will outpace a sasquatch. I wrote down all the details of that little adventure if anyone is interested.

Sounds like you got a good story,a sasquatch chasing you?I for one would like to hear it.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                      Robbie Robertson

Anonymous

First motor was a ’52 Evinrude Fleetwin that my grandfather and father used for duck hunting. I remember about 45 years ago, dad was trying to start it in a 55 gallon drum in the basement. Determine the coils were shot but was told that they were NLA. He buttoned it up and stuck it into a closet where it sat until ’80 when I took it after his passing. So, 36 years later I have yet to restore it but it’s next on my list. I can’t remember how many years ago I found this forum, maybe 20 or so??? Asked about a replacement cover for access to the gas cap and someone was nice enough to give me a replacement. Wish I knew who that was but just a example of the great guys here.
                        Kirk

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 128 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.