what year were cork floats phased out

Home Forum Ask A Member what year were cork floats phased out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

Anyone know what year the black plastic floats were introduced?

I have a ’63 QD 24 with a plastic float and I’m trying to figure out the earliest the cork could have been replaced. Just for the heck of it 😛

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I believe the current BRP carb kits for the 50s Big Twin’s still come with cork floats. I’m Not sure how long the others have been updated.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I know they used cork floats in the CD motors thru the seventies. The 9.5 horse QD replacement motors used cork to. Later 9.9/15 horse motors in the 70’s also used cork floats but all of the OMC/BRP carb kits I buy for these motors have the superior plastic float included. Your ’63 must have been worked on earlier. Look at the color of the bowl gasket. If it’s black, it’s old or original and if it is tan color, it’s fairly new.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

When you see a cork float of recent mfg, it probably has an epoxy (or whatever it actually is) coating, not the shellac coating used in bygone days. That’s because, alcohol dissolves shellac.

wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

Thanks for the info Gents 😀 .

The carb in question has the tan gasket.

I have a few Bigtwin carb kits that I got from Mumbles (Thanks Mumbles! )and they do have cork floats. I have never seen anything other than cork in any of the RD’s or Bigtwins I have taken apart.Wonder why OMC didn’t change to plastic.Something to do with $ obviously.

This ’63 QD looks really bad cosmetically and is missing bits, but I think it will run ok with even 75 psi on top and bottom. Luckily I have a flywheel and recoil from a basket case motor.

Attachments:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.