Home Forum Ask A Member What's This Gasket For?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

It’s always included in the 18-4306 (394546) 9.9/15 horse powerhead gasket sets and doesn’t fit any 9.9 I’ve ever worked on. I believe the P/N is 18-0112 (324717) and wonder if it is meant for a commercial model?

9.9-Base-Gasket-001

18-4306

bakercheese
      Participant

US Member

It looks like one for a 10 hp

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I have often wondered the same thing, have seen pictures of those kits with that gasket included. I honestly feel it is a mistake…..

bayham3261
          Participant

In the 90’s I recall seeing Johnson brochures for 15A and GT10 race motors. Could be related to those.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

johnyrude200
            Participant

Looks like it’s for a commercial 14hp model.

Those models use the older fastwin housing, but with the use of a intermediary adapter on top of the exhaust housing so the 9.9/15hp powerheads will adapt.

If you did a search of that model on M.E., you might find that it goes to the commercial models.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

We have a winner. JohnnyRude nailed it. I looked at 1989 14hp. Midsection area. Reference #91.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/46804.gif

Dan in TN

{content}

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

Well done jonnyrude 200!
                  Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have seen that parts breakdown before. Boy, that would be a fun/rare classic engine to find. I have never seen a real-life one. I can’t help but wonder whether they were actually produced, like I wonder about the three cylinder Force 25s. Maybe they were international only.

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
                    Participant

Now I know for sure! You just confirmed my thought in the original post.

johnyrude200
                      Participant

I see a few of these each year show up in the New England area. Heck, last year I saw two of them for sale in really nice original condition. The general private owner has no idea where to find parts because the local dealer either doesn’t work on older OMC’s or they don’t know where to find parts. So you can usually pick them up for <$400.00 (usually $200-300) because something has gone wrong and the owner can’t repair it. The ones that are still running, always depends on if the person has a realistic value point.

They just don’t realize the main unique aspect of the motor is the adapter plate between the exhaust housing and powerhead. I suspect the driveshaft and shift shaft are probably unique too. The rest seems like fairly common components. Might want to check the carburetor and manifold but I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t just 15hp stock components.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by johnyrude200.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.