Home Forum Ask A Member When is a hone job needed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    burnt-clutch
    Participant

So I finally got the head off of my Fleetwin and I’m seeing some scoring at the top of both cylinders walls, and matching scoring on the piston rings. I took the exhaust plate and bypass covers off and the piston rings have flex to them and do not seem to be stuck. Before tearing the power head down I did a compression test and the top cylinder had 70PSI and the bottom was 80. I’ve been reading a lot about the “50 cent hone job” posted in other threads and was wondering if I should bother doing the same with my powerhead or if it would be better to leave it as is and put it back together with a fresh head gasket. I’m thinking that if the rings are already scored that I might lose compression if I honed the cylinders. Let me know what you’s think, and thanks in advance!

-Karl

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If you aren’t replacing the rings then don’t bother honing the cylinders.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Does the scoring match up with either the exhaust cover or intake covers? If so, pulling these covers will give you a better idea of how badly the piston might be scored of if the rings are stuck in that area. Would it be possible to post some pictures? Seems like you have a 10PSI difference between the cylinders, which is a concern on one of these small/low compression engines….
          In any event, using some light emery/crocus to rough up the walls a bit and remove any aluminum transfer might help out, certainly worth a try…Simply rinse the cylinders well with WD40 or some light spray cleaner/lube afterwards.

The Boat House
          Participant

burnt-clutch
            Participant

Thanks for the replies. I don’t plan to restore the motor, just freshen it up so I don’t plan to go any further than replacing the head gasket. I’ll retest the compression after I get it running and see what difference it made. I bought a gasket with the copper rings that go around the top of the cylinder so hopefully that will give me a great seal. On a side note, I broke off one of the head bolts and would like to use all new bolts to for the head. Can i just go to the local hardware store and get a bolts off the shelf to replace the originals? I’m assuming a bolt is a bolt, but I’m also a novice at this. Thanks again!
              -Karl

The Boat House
              Participant

olcah
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks Tubs for the useful info on honing above. Working on just such a worn motor. As it is not worth rebuilding I will just reassemble and check the outcome.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the replies. I don’t plan to restore the motor, just freshen it up so I don’t plan to go any further than replacing the head gasket. I’ll retest the compression after I get it running and see what difference it made. I bought a gasket with the copper rings that go around the top of the cylinder so hopefully that will give me a great seal. On a side note, I broke off one of the head bolts and would like to use all new bolts to for the head. Can i just go to the local hardware store and get a bolts off the shelf to replace the originals? I’m assuming a bolt is a bolt, but I’m also a novice at this. Thanks again!
                    -Karl

Don’t be afraid to “rough up” the walls will some fine emery/crocus like I mentioned. While this method is certainly not a substitute for a proper “rebuild”, sometimes it is enough to bring compression up a bit….I am not recommending pulling the powerhead apart, this can be done with the pistons in place, just rinse the cylinders out with carb cleaner/WD40 afterwards and re-oil the cylinder walls generously afterwards…. Oftentimes this crude procedure is enough to break the glaze on the walls and provide a rougher surface that will hold oil a little better, which might result in higher compression.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
                    oldemtr
                    Participant

Why do I think the load, tensile, and yield columns, for the metric bolts on that chart, are listed in a different denomination ?

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m sure you could find a used OEM head bolt, which is your safest/best bet….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.