Home Forum Ask A Member When is a hone job needed?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    burnt-clutch
    Participant

I went to the hardware store today and found these –

https://imgur.com/a/ziZCikw

here is what I bought compared to the original Evinrude head bolt and a bolt off of my TN28

https://imgur.com/a/CLZeqNJ

I cant find the Evinrude bolt on Ebay and to me they look weak compared to the Johnson bolts as they have no shank. When I was unbolting the head, I had three bolts that felt like they were about to shear off, and as luck would have it, the last bolt did. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use an off the shelf hardware store bolt?
      -Karl

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m sure those bolts will be fine, they are only torqued to about 80 inch pounds anyway. Be sure to lube up the threads and shanks liberally with grease or gasket sealer..

The Boat House
        Participant

oldemtr
          Participant

I’m with Tubs on this – The Hillman bolts pictured are grade 2 (no head marks) – Very low quality steel.
            For low torque head bolts like this, I think grade 5 standard automotive (3 marks) is minimal – But grade 8 (6 marks) is better.
            If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby, they have graded bolts of all sizes – Cheap, by the pound
            Just my opinion.

burnt-clutch
            Participant

Thanks for the additional replies. I do need to run errands tonight and there is a Tractor Supply on my route, so I will stop by and get some stronger bolts. Do I need to install anti- seize or sealant on the bolts during assembly? I always thought that would throw off my torque values.
              -Karl

The Boat House
              Participant

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.