Home Forum Ask A Member Which Driveshaft Seal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

So after discovering the cracked driveshaft seal plate on my Johnson QD-20, I found a good quality used replacement plate. I have 2 different oil seals for this plate, one being an OMC 303345 that was included in my water pump kit and the other a Sierra 18-2022 that came in the gearcase seal kit. Both seals have the same ID and OD but the OMC seal is 1/4″ depth and the Sierra seal is 3/8″ deep. The seal bore in the plate is 3/8″ deep so either seal will sit flush with the top edge of the bore. Does it make any real difference which one to use? I actually like the apparent quality of the OMC seal better. Any opinions on the quality issue?

05-OMC-vs.-Sierra-Seal

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
      Participant

Use whichever one you like the best. The thinner one might give you some wiggle room depth-wise to possibly run against an unworn area on the shaft. Otherwise, makes no difference.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the smaller one may give you some room to slide an extractor under the inner lip next time…. you change it 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would use the OMC/OEM seal, I have never seen that deeper seal used in any of the upper seal/bushing assemblies.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

call me cheap but the last time I looked at 303345 seal shipped to Canada plus exchange $$$ 🙁 🙁

I decided to go local and get some SKF I think it was… seals for just a few dollars each

they were not stainless steel but with 95% soaking in oil I simply coated the “water” exposed outer rim surface with a few coats of latex based glue

clear fingernail polish would probably have doe a good job of sealing the small exposed outer surface

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
              Participant

Thanks to all for the input – I’ll go with the OMC seal.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.