Home Forum Ask A Member Who Bought It?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

T

1946zephyr
      Participant

9 bills? as in $900?

cajuncook1
        Participant

Wasn’t me

beerman57
          Participant

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

yah! I saw that! actually a fair and decent price for that sweet looking motor! considering if you bought a worn one for $200, you’d EASILY have $700 more into it between parts, paint, postage for all those parts, etc, etc. and on top of that the buyer doesn’t even have to DO anything, so no labor costs to factor in. I’d say all in all a great buy! always impossible to tell about mechanical stuff until you run it, etc but from what we know, I’d say $ WELL spent.

pappy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OpposedTwin hit the nail on the head. That is a fair price for a fairly rare engine brought back to that condition. Convincing a group of folks that gripe about spending a dollar on a carburetor packing may be an uphill battle though. 🙄

johnny-infl
                Participant

YEP – that motor had some awesome chrome that had to be either NOS or
                  hours and hours put into it by a true metalsmith craftsman plus the rechroming.
                  It appeared to be flawless, cosmetic wise. I was thinking the reserve price would be in the $1500 neighborhood.
                  When I get MY RDS-20 next month, it won’t look near as nice as that one, but,
                  it will be a good looking motor to push a nice tin boat around.

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Well great. I have a beautiful 25 that I should post then

chris-p
                    Participant

I saw that Javelin as well, she was a beauty specimen! If he got it for the starting price of 900, it was a steal. I paid 600 to get my chrome done alone on my 57 Javelin. I wouldn’t sell my Javelin for 2k if I was offered it, lol. They are NOT cheap motors to restore compared to others, that is for sure.

sandman
                      Participant

New member here. Assuming from the details above, you guys are talking about the 1957 Johnson Javelin that was on Ebay recently for a Buy It Now for $900. I bought it! For reals. I had been watching the auction for a few days and decided that $900 was a pretty decent price so I jumped. The motor was in Porter, Texas and I had to have a driver pick it up and deliver it to me. I just got here on Tuesday. The motor is even more beautiful in person! The seller used is as a show motor for his 1957 Yellow Jacket and it won several awards over the years. He sold the boat a while back and the motor has been sitting in his office as a conversation piece for several years. It has never been cranked since he had a full nut and bolt restoration completed. I plan on running the old girl on my 1956 Aristocraft Torpedo.
                        I am also restoring ad rebuilding a 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse RDS-20 from the ground up which will also be used on the same boat from time to time. Right now, I am scouring the web looking for wiring harness and junction box for the 57 Javelin. The controls and harness were sold with the seller’s Yellow Jacket so I am having to scrounge around to find the rest of the parts to make the Javelin run again. I just procured all the parts to convert the Javelin to a long shaft set-up.

The images are from the original auction but I plan on taking some shortly.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 45 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.