Home Forum Ask A Member Who sells a fuel pump conversion kit for a 5.5?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jerry
    Participant

A friend needs to convert his 1958 Johnson CD from a pressure tank to fuel pump. I have no idea where to get one for him…Please respond to Studenut8@gmail.com…Thanks guys, Jerry

chris-p
      Participant

Well, there isn’t a "kit"

He could buy the items and do it himself, fairly simple.

Would need a fuel pump, single line connector.

With the CD, the bypass covers are not removable. So, you usually modify the intake manifold. We can post the link for the online instructions for this. Or, you can pull the powerhead, and drill/tap the bypass cover for a barb to get the pulse from.

Why does he need to convert it out of curiousity?

david-bartlett
        Participant

A good used pressure tank will be easier and likely less expensive.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Here is the Duckworks Magazine article on converting to a Mikuni pump:
            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/col … /index.htm

hugh
            Participant

I used a number of Mikuni pumps and they work fine. I am now using Briggs & Stratton as they are easer to mount and hook up the hoses to. They are all about $25. Have ran 35 hp with either one.

20mercman
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I used a Mikuni pump from Mercury, (a universal pump sold by Mercury for the 20hp motors) to convert our 58 Fleetwin to a pump. It worked very well, but I am actually seriously considering switching the motor back to the pressure tank set up. First of all, we now have a couple of pressure tanks, that I didn’t have before. I am considering this for a couple of reasons. I hate to hijack this thread, but here goes. I do like the originality of the pressure tank, and if anything, they start and run very well on them. I can keep a pressure tank set with high oil ratio, and not have to keep a Mercury tank with rich oil/gas ratio. Harder to run the Fleetwin on a lean oil mixture when I have a restricted tank to use. I didn’t do anything in my conversion that I can’t undo, as I just blocked one of the pulse lines in the plate and took out the check valve. I have them to put back in, so not an issue there. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Steve

theodore
                Participant

Pressure tanks rule! When I crack open the fill cap, hear that beautiful pssssssssssshhhhhhhh, and inhale a big slug of those wonderful warm gas fumes, it makes for a perfect end to a perfect day.

You can keep your stinking Mikuni fuel pumps———-

cajuncook1
                  Participant
                    quote Jerry:

A friend needs to convert his 1958 Johnson CD from a pressure tank to fuel pump. I have no idea where to get one for him…Please respond to Studenut8@gmail.com…Thanks guys, Jerry

Check your email Jerry!!

Cheers

david-bartlett
                    Participant
                      quote Theodore:

Pressure tanks rule! When I crack open the fill cap, hear that beautiful pssssssssssshhhhhhhh, and inhale a big slug of those wonderful warm gas fumes, it makes for a perfect end to a perfect day.

You can keep your stinking Mikuni fuel pumps———-

A man after my own heart. Just bought another pressure tank today for $30.

billy-j
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Theodore » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 pm
                        You are so right my friend. But you forgot to mention the the EEEE EEEE EEEE noise when when you pump the primer button. Bill,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.