Home Forum Ask A Member Why 3 cylinders?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I had a customer bring in a 3 cylinder 25hp evonrude (I believe a ’93 at casual glance). I always wondered why switch to the 3 cylinder, 3-carb setup?

Its runs pretty quiet, but weighs an absolute TON. I have several 2004 25hp johnsons, and even being electric start longshafts, they must be at least 20-30lbs lighter.

Whats a fair compression number for the 3-cylinders? I had around 110/cylinder; figured theyd be lower than the 2 cylinder.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Never really checked compression on one of those 3 cylinders. Yeah, they ran nice, but were a bit heavy.

johnyrude200
        Participant

Well this one was going to be a trade in toward a 1966 18hp evinrude (and boy, I couldn’t even stall the motor out it ran so smooth…I even removed the low idle stop screw and it still wouldn’t stall out with the throttle retarded as far as it could go…love those old 18’s!!!!!). Put my test prop on the newer 25, let the customer get it going, and I put a heat gun on it to see it all the way up to 200°! Let’s just say, I didn’t want the thing, but he wants me to try and fix the cooling system, and if he’s willing to pay, I’m willing to work. Nothing like getting paid to learn a new motor (I only charge what it would cost me for a motor I’m familiar with, any extra tinkering is off the clock) 🙂

Even if I fix it, I don’t know if I’d want it. Not a desirable motor in my opinion…underpowered for its weight. Does the 3-cylinder set up give it more power at the low end or something?

reivertom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It sounds like one of those unnecessary solutions to a non-existent problem. OR in other words…"engineers gone wild"

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, yeah it was kind of overkill.
              Let me know when you attack that cooling system, getting that gearcase off and on is kinda tricky.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.