Home Forum Ask A Member Working on my first Zephyr…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I have one as well, never actually taken it off the rack though!

2fast4me
      Participant

Yes the Zephyr’s is a unique motor, a little overbuilt but a nice little motor. I have one and a parts motor and love it for all the same reasons. Personally my favorite is the Zephyr on steroids the Lightfour and so the saga continues. But I’ll save that for another post.
        Good info on those primer seals that saved the day for me
        Jim

2Fast4Me

1946zephyr
        Participant

Well, now you are officially hooked ๐Ÿ˜€ Don’t feel bad about it though. The funnest hobby you will find.
          A 1946 Zephyr 4404-0066 was my first outboard in 1992 and I havenโ€™t left the outboards alone since. ๐Ÿ˜€
          I have actually restored two of those, so I can be of help to you. I no longer have any parts for those though, but I can offer answers. Mumbles is a great source of answers too, plus he is a good friend of mine.

Mumbles
          Participant

I think the Zephyrs are great little motors. Maybe slightly over engineered a bit, but very smooth running and unique!

Atom modules help out with starting and idling.

Having some NOS parts on hand helps to keep them running to.

Another club members slightly modified Zephyr.

Wedgies Zephyr.

And Garry’s ’49 Zephyr.

wiscoboater
            Participant

that modified zephyr has to be the coolest looking motor I have ever seen

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote wannabe outboard guy:

that modified zephyr has to be the coolest looking motor I have ever seen

You aught to hear them run, Impressive!!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

chris-p
                Participant

My plan for my Zephyr was to modify it as a racer…..one day.

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Want another one? Like my Mark 30 better

fastjohn
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

We run mod Zephyrs every year at Tomahawk. I currently have three of them. My granddaughter was shown in the previous set of pictures on the home page running one of my mods on a small runabout at Tomahawk.

gjonz
                      Participant
                        quote Mumbles:

A few years ago I used some cup style seals and they worked great but the plunger shaft had to be turned or ground down a bit to get them to fit properly. The P/N is circled in red and a Google search should bring them up. These cups also come in different sizes and can be adapted to the 4323 Sportwins and Vacturi carbs with primer pumps.

Don’t be embarrassed by buying a Zephyr. They’re great little smooth running motors when set up right! I’ll bet you’ll end up using it more than the missus! ๐Ÿ˜€

Okay…I thought Mumbles was nuts…but for .50 I’ll give it a try with these seals. Took me months to come around to it…but I think he’s on to something here. Besides…it’s the last motor I have to restore right now other than an SD-10 that needs a lower unit.

So the seals are ordered…and we’ll see how this goes.

Thanks!

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.