Home Forum Ask A Member Worn fuel tank fitting ID'd, + tank choice

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Amuller is correct. One pin lets air in while running, while the other allows fuel to be pulled from the tank, when the line fitting is attached thereby pushing the pins in. If the o-ring on the fuel outlet is worn, it can empty the tank in hot weather, if allowed. Doesn’t have to be in direct sun, but that sure accelerates the issue. It will get up to 110 F this week, at my house. Because I replaced the o-rings for the pins, the tanks did not leak when stored, even when hot. By not replacing the quad ring, as soon as the fuel inlet pin was pushed in, the leakage began.
      I really hope this solves the issue. It should; makes complete sense.
      I very much appreciate the help and knowledge.
      Stay cool, y’all.
      Alan

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That tank should not build pressure at all…should it?

Yes, they do build pressure. In order to comply with no-emissions laws, the tank has an one-way vent valve built in. It will allow air to enter the tank, but not escape. But an over-pressure valve will open before it blows up. Or so I’m told.

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by outboardnut. Reason: found the answer to my question
          Alan
          Participant

Yup! It was the o-ring, (“quad ring”) behind the small brass ring, where the pin protrudes. Did all three of my tanks today. I can see how this would let air in, while the fuel pump was pulling fuel up from the tank Hope this is the reason for the lack of power. I’ll post a clip if so.
            Very much appreciated;
            Alan

oring

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Alan.
            • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
            amuller
            Participant

I played around with about 5 tanks this afternoon and most of them leaked around the valve stems. Initially I’d thought the leak was from the “o” rings in the connectors, but looking closely showed it was the valve stem seals in most cases.

Alan Muller

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

One of these days I want to source those o-rings from someplace other than OEM. BRP thinks very highly of their little bits of rubber. McMaster Carr must have them…

Has anyone already done that? Maybe offering a kit to do the whole fitting?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.