Home Forum Ask A Member Year of Mercury super " 5 "

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    billy-j
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello, just picked up a Mercury Model KF5 serial number 356434 for $60.00. Not all that familiar with the Merc’s. I would like to know the year of manufacture. Pretty nice shape has some broken fins on lower unit housing. Thanks Bill,

terriblecj
      Participant

1949 sir. Same year as mine. Great little motors!

billy-j
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1949 I did not think it was that old. I thought about 1951 or 52. Thank you Bill,

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

the newer ones were called mark5’s had neutral shift.

20mercman
            Participant

US Member

The KF-5 was built from 49 -52. The Mark 5 was built 53-55

Steve

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your coolinng system is different than the later KF5’s The impeller housing should be upgraded to the later motors. Includes o ring housing & cover.
                See Fergoson Poole Marine & ask for Joe Poole. He knows all about it & has the new parts.

billy-j
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks all. I ran the Merc engine today. Had the test barrel setup for three other Johnson motors and thought I would give it a shot. It runs very well on gas oil mix shot into carburetor but will not run on it’s own I am sure the carb needs a thorough cleaning and going over. The lower unit housing has some of the fin broke off also the next part up ( the leg )? Would any of these parts be replaced with the impeller housing upgrade? Anybody have some of these parts? Also I ran it on 16 to 1 mix.Is this what it normally takes? Bill,

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your tank filter is clogged. Remove the tank & its on the bottom.
                    Send me your e mail & i’ll send a copy of the impeller change,
                    Jeff.50@cox.net.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.