Zephyr "short" spark plugs

Home Forum Ask A Member Zephyr "short" spark plugs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• todd281

Replies: 120
    Topics: 52

I’ve been searching forums all morning for advise on replacement plugs for a 4404 Zephyr. I would like to replace them with a shorter plug to allow more clearance between the cover and the plug . However I am seeing allot of different answers to which plug to use. I would like to stay with the screw on terminals [like NGK plugs have] so which plugs do I want? thanks for all the help so far.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

todd281

So far my research has turned up that the recommended replacement was champion j-10 , the replacement for that plug is champion j6c. the j6c is a longer overall length .[about 2 inch] I am looking for a shorter overall length plug [like the one in a small chainsaw or weed-wacker] Something like a champion cj6y . I have seen references on the forum about using “shorty” plugs for the Zephyr because of the cover on the motor being so close to the plug terminal ends . I am unsure of the length of the J17LM plug but I think it is also one of the longer types. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone out here has the secret decoder ring , and can decipher if there is a short plug that will work in this . If not I will have to stay with the longer style.

todd281

OK after some more digging in the forum I think I found a answer . One of the members suggested NGK plugs BM6A or BM7A replacements to correct this very problem . Thanks for the help.

squierka39

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 610
    Topics: 34

You said you like the screw on tops so I’m guessing you use a connector that fits under it. If so, Brillman has the thumbscrew type tops in metric for new plugs. They are a bit shorter than the long stock screw on piece. That might be just enough to help.

todd281

Brillman I Googled it, allot of interesting stuff . I would like to get brass thumbscrew type ends. thanks

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by todd281.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

The original J10 commercial J was changed (renamed) J6-J around 1946. These became J6-C when they went to a solid copper center electrode. The short plugs are the same number with a preceding C, ie. CJ6-C. From the 1949 Champion catalog – Note the C7 is a hotter plug than the 7 – later books are fuzzy on this distinction. Factory recommendations are not etched in stone. running conditions vary. check the look of the insulator. Adjust to the heat range that matches your running condition.

Garry in Michigan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.