Boat info

Home Forum Ask A Member Boat info

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by h20lew h20lew 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 140
    Topics: 25

Looking at an alumacraft model f tomorrow. 1957. Just looking for some input on this model. Good or bad. Thanks!

westwind
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 353
    Topics: 8

Great boat, it’s a big plus if it has the aluminum oars. I have an FL with the wood seats and just got an FD that’s a little deeper and rated for more hp.

h20lew
    h20lew
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 22
    Topics: 11

I have a 1967 F7 and it’s a fantastic boat. Highly recommended. Low maintenance. Very stable and well built. Mine has a 1963 Evinrude Fastwin (18 HP) and I can get it up to 19 MPH. In Minnesota these typically list on Craigslist for between $200 and $400 – sometimes including a trailer. Be sure to check out this site for info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Aluma_craft

Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year

How is the performance with a smaller motor like a 7.5. Will it plane the boat? Really wanted an A model for my smaller motors but hard to find down here in Missouri

Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year

I bought it! Put some pics and some questions in the alumacraft thread on members toys. Looks like a decent boat. Thanks!

outbdnut2
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1139
    Topics: 57

A 7-1/2 will plane a model F if the weight distribution and prop is right. Does your boat have a front and/or a rear deck?….or I’ve seen the rear deck moved up so you sit in the center seat. If you are driving 7-1/2 HP from the tiller at the rear seat, whether it will plane or not depends on your weight. If it’s close to planeing, put a 6 gallon gas tank up front, and maybe an anchor and that may get it on plane. These were rated for 16 HP max, but 18s were commonly run on them. When I was a teen, two of us 150 pound teens water-skied double behind my neighbor’s model F with a 1958 18 Johnson, and the driver sitting alone in the boat at a deck located at the center seat.
    Dave

Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year

The tag on this on says 20 hp max. No decks. Just a plain model f. Put some pics on the members toys under alumacraft. Can’t wait to get it in the water. Just have to get it legal and fix the transom!

Attachments:
    Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year

Is there a good way to remove paint from the inside and underneath side without scratching it up? Would like to get it back to original shape. Thanks. Bryan.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1759
    Topics: 39

I have a 1967 F7 and it’s a fantastic boat. Highly recommended. Low maintenance. Very stable and well built. Mine has a 1963 Evinrude Fastwin (18 HP) and I can get it up to 19 MPH. In Minnesota these typically list on Craigslist for between $200 and $400 – sometimes including a trailer. Be sure to check out this site for info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Aluma_craft

Not to get too far off-topic here, but my FD will do 23-24 mph with pretty much any 18 I put on it. There’s definitely more to be had out of your Model F with an 18. The F is a great little boat.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 151
    Topics: 7

Not to get too far off-topic here, but my FD will do 23-24 mph with pretty much any 18 I put on it. There’s definitely more to be had out of your Model F with an 18. The F is a great little boat.

-Ben

What Ben said! Great boats.

Tinman
    US Member - 1 Year

I can’t wait to get it on the water!!i paid 400 for boat and trailer. Should be a fun ride!!

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1228
    Topics: 161

once read that paint and specs in the bottom of the boat is there to prevent dizziness …

I recently picked a Springbok 14 footer (sold by Sears I think…) for $100 transom plates needed rebuild rest of the boat is ok

came with 3 oars 🙂

Attachments:
    h20lew
    h20lew
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 22
    Topics: 11

$400 seems like a fair price for that package. Around MN hard to find someone selling a trailer for less than $250.

Ben – thanks for the suggestion on an 18 HP getting 23-24 MPH on an FD. I’ve got a 2nd Fastwin I picked up… will try that one and see if I do any better on speed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.