Home Forum Ask A Member Boat info

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

Looking at an alumacraft model f tomorrow. 1957. Just looking for some input on this model. Good or bad. Thanks!

westwind
      Participant

Canada Member

Great boat, it’s a big plus if it has the aluminum oars. I have an FL with the wood seats and just got an FD that’s a little deeper and rated for more hp.

h20lew
        Participant

US Member

I have a 1967 F7 and it’s a fantastic boat. Highly recommended. Low maintenance. Very stable and well built. Mine has a 1963 Evinrude Fastwin (18 HP) and I can get it up to 19 MPH. In Minnesota these typically list on Craigslist for between $200 and $400 – sometimes including a trailer. Be sure to check out this site for info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Aluma_craft

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

How is the performance with a smaller motor like a 7.5. Will it plane the boat? Really wanted an A model for my smaller motors but hard to find down here in Missouri

Tinman
            Participant

US Member

I bought it! Put some pics and some questions in the alumacraft thread on members toys. Looks like a decent boat. Thanks!

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

A 7-1/2 will plane a model F if the weight distribution and prop is right. Does your boat have a front and/or a rear deck?….or I’ve seen the rear deck moved up so you sit in the center seat. If you are driving 7-1/2 HP from the tiller at the rear seat, whether it will plane or not depends on your weight. If it’s close to planeing, put a 6 gallon gas tank up front, and maybe an anchor and that may get it on plane. These were rated for 16 HP max, but 18s were commonly run on them. When I was a teen, two of us 150 pound teens water-skied double behind my neighbor’s model F with a 1958 18 Johnson, and the driver sitting alone in the boat at a deck located at the center seat.
                Dave

Tinman
                Participant

US Member

The tag on this on says 20 hp max. No decks. Just a plain model f. Put some pics on the members toys under alumacraft. Can’t wait to get it in the water. Just have to get it legal and fix the transom!

IMG_5004

IMG_5002

Tinman
                  Participant

US Member

Is there a good way to remove paint from the inside and underneath side without scratching it up? Would like to get it back to original shape. Thanks. Bryan.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 1967 F7 and it’s a fantastic boat. Highly recommended. Low maintenance. Very stable and well built. Mine has a 1963 Evinrude Fastwin (18 HP) and I can get it up to 19 MPH. In Minnesota these typically list on Craigslist for between $200 and $400 – sometimes including a trailer. Be sure to check out this site for info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Aluma_craft

Not to get too far off-topic here, but my FD will do 23-24 mph with pretty much any 18 I put on it. There’s definitely more to be had out of your Model F with an 18. The F is a great little boat.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

David Bartlett
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not to get too far off-topic here, but my FD will do 23-24 mph with pretty much any 18 I put on it. There’s definitely more to be had out of your Model F with an 18. The F is a great little boat.

-Ben

What Ben said! Great boats.

David Bartlett
                        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.